Summary of the Position
The systems architect is responsible for developing hardware/software solutions which meet business needs. In addition, the incumbent applies industry best practice technology, design, and methodology approaches to implement system solutions. This position will work at various levels in the design and coordination of large and complex projects. In addition, the systems architect is expected to interact with project managers, software developers, and operations staff, ensuring that the overall design is communicated, and peer reviewed.
Roles and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Authors internal documentation, such as environment diagrams, installation/configuration documents and release notes to ensure successful turnover to operations staff.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions
- Prepares and installs technology solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Deploys web products built on the LAMP stack and other third party components and services.
- Deploys database solutions on ORACLE RDBMS, and Mysql.
- Partners with IT Operations staff in establishing and implementing configuration management program and policies.
- Troubleshoots and debugs environment and infrastructure problems found in all IT managed servers.
- Provides second level support for the management of corporate systems in an HP blade/Intel environment, including the following: VMware/Vsphere, Windows 2003/2008, Active Directory, MS Exchange, Linux LAMP, database clusters, IDS/IPS, VPN and firewalls.
- Automates systems monitoring tasks using standard monitoring tools. (Big Brother experience preferred ).
- Responsible for server design, and the provisioning of server hardware.
- Documents storage/SAN (Storage Area Network) and backup/recovery requirements, while interacting with NT (Network Technology) administrators, to guarantee successful storage deployment.
- Builds and deploys virtualization servers, based on VMware/Vsphere technologies.
- Manages and controls the continuous release promotion cycle (manually short-term, through automation long-term) including the following environments: migration, engineering, quality assurance, training, user acceptance testing, staging and production.
- Works with Operations, SQA, and software development, to plan the deployment of hardware/software/firmware releases and continuously improve the infrastructure.
- Ensures appropriate levels of security controls are understood, designed, and deployed.
- Develops deployment scripts on a lifecycle automation platform for the orchestration, integration and automation of build promotions and software releases.
- Develops training for deployment of new technology.
- Ability to work as part of a team or on individual projects.
- Excellent communication skills required: verbal, written and interpersonal.
- Effective problem-solving and critical-thinking skills are required.
- Strong organizational skills with strong attention to detail required.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- Must have proven ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines and well-developed time management skills.
- Ability to take a long-term, solution-oriented approach to technical issues.
- Have the ability to drive and handle all tasks with diplomacy and enthusiasm.
- Ability to be well versed in system development life cycle or similar methodology in order to implement a project from requirements to retirement.
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise Linux solutions required. (RHEL preferred )
- Experience with clustering solutions (Clustersuite/SFHA/ServiceGuard) required.
- Experience with Solaris preferred.
- Windows server skills preferred.
- Experience with HP Proliant DL/BL hardware required.
- Advanced knowledge of Hitachi/Brocade SAN preferred.
- VMware (or other hypervisor) experience preferred.
- Experience with NetBackup preferred
- Basic knowledge of apache 2.x, perl, PHP, mysql required.
- AD/ldap skills preferred.
- Experience with system security tools preferred.
- Oracle 10/11 database skills preferred.
- Knowledge of Oracle E-Business Suite preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent level of experience required.
A minimum 5 years of proven expertise in a related architectural/engineering field, with experience in developing, maintaining and/or managing systems/services. A minimum of 5 years project engineering experience (system design, project planning). Strong architectural knowledge and skills. Excellent IT skills, and excellent customer facing communication skills.