The Systems Architect is responsible for building and helping maintain complex, scalable, and resilient architectures to service high volume web sites. The ideal applicant will have a thorough understanding of what it takes to run these systems and be able to identify trouble areas and bottlenecks before problems occur. The Systems Architect will not only build solutions but will be responsible to ensure they stay running. The Systems Architecture team is the initial touch point for new projects that are going to be moving from development to operations. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of both disciplines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Work with development teams and operational teams to design and implement scalable and reliable solutions to Synacor’s growing and evolving architecture.
- Evaluate new product and client requirements. Determine how we can leverage existing environments and designs or determine if new architectures are needed.
- Determine the costs and trade-offs for all options, work towards determining the best solution to a problem to meet all of Synacor’s needs.
- Drive projects from inception to completion. Able to make sure that all parts of project are done efficiently and correctly.
- Document and evaluate current architecture.
- Evaluate performance and capacity of all systems both old and new.
- Forecast capacity needs based off of evaluations, past performances and future requirements.
- Evaluate reliability of all systems and processes. Design and implement solutions to improve reliability.
- Other duties as assigned
What we’ll bring to the table:
- A passion for Internet technologies
- Strong understanding of Unix/Linux as well as networking and load balancing technologies
- Relentlessly seeking to expand knowledge
- Strategic, sensible, and able to see both the forest and the trees
- Proven technical troubleshooting and performance tuning experience.
- Great collaborator with both technical and non-technical staff
- Mandatory experience building and maintaining complex and extremely reliable systems to handle high-volume web applications
- Familiarity with a wide range of Internet applications, technologies, sites, and business models
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer science or related degree; or related expertise and experience
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending machines. Jeans and t-shirts are typical office attire, even for the executives. Teamwork is an everyday occurrence, and is made easy with our new open workspaces. Our leadership team understands that the best results come from collaboration, so we hire the best and brightest and then let them do what they do best: create cutting-edge products and provide exemplary customer service. Synacor's headquarters is located along Buffalo's waterfront in the Erie Basin Marina. Taking a few minutes to enjoy the serenity of nature is as easy as walking 1,000 feet or so to the water. We even have a lakefront gazebo with wi-fi connection! And if that’s not enough, Synacor pays 100% of health care premiums for employees AND dependents, offers stock option participation, a healthy bonus potential and a very generous paid time off policy. Working with some of the largest cable, telecom and satellite providers, Synacor’s products and online services reach over 25 million high-speed Internet subscribers worldwide. We are looking for great people to join our team and be given the freedom to do the work they were hired to do.
- 100% Company paid benefits (health, dental, vision) for all employees and eligible dependents
- Competitive compensation package, including stock option grants (for eligible positions)
- Award winning company culture
- Casual dress and flexible environment
- Generous paid time off
- Extensive learning and training opportunities: internal training sessions, innovation fests, and much more
- 25 cent vending machines
- Free Spot coffee, popcorn and cappuccino
- Monthly company connections (get to know your co-workers)
- The opportunity to make a difference!
Synacor - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending...