Afilon seeks a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and collaborative systems engineer with 4 to 6 years experience to play a critical role as consultant Afilons systems engineering consulting practice.
The systems engineer will be assigned to assist in developing a healthcare IT system to support emergency response for a healthcare system in the national capital region. The IT system will be used to present data on the emergency that allows the government healthcare system to make actionable decision to support the needs of the community in response to the emergency. The systems engineer will be responsible for supporting all and leading some aspects of designing the system, from understanding the user needs, developing the business case, and working with the team to develop the technical structure of the system. S/he will be able to work with the team to synthesize and codify information that connects data gathered from a variety of stakeholder interviews and research to define and present the business problem and potential solutions, The lead systems engineer will report to the project manager of the project and work closely with the team to design a system that enables the government healthcare system to respond to catastrophic emergency situations affecting the community.
The collaborative systems engineer must have proven ability to frame complex problems and work with the team to develop an approach for breaking the problem down into manageable pieces. S/he will be able to collaborate with peers and team members to implement. This person should have an interest in problem solving and be skilled at identifying and proposing solutions to roadblocks encountered along the way. The systems engineer must have strong oral and written communication skills with an interest in working with diverse individuals of various backgrounds. This individual will have strong relationship building skills with clients, teams and peers and have a track record of successfully working collaboratively across functional areas. S/he will have an understanding of business process re-engineering and IT system development. S/he will be a self-starter and look to research best practices to ensure the team is incorporating industry best practices into its work, and will have experience in working with different types of clients.. The systems engineer is accountable for supporting the design of the final IT system that enables the government healthcare system to support emergency response within the national capital region.
- Support the implementation of a complex geographically distributed medical situational awareness information system. Tasks include participation in all and leadership in two or more of the following:
- o Business and technical requirements gathering
- o Business case development
- o Design of information system and test plan
- o Participate or lead in the collection, review, evaluation and interpretation of data
- Support project management activities including:
- o Support the development of risk management and quality management plans
- o Support in project documentation and in writing of project deliverables
- o Organize and facilitate stakeholders meetings where appropriate
- Participate in the definition of project scope and deliverables.
- Participate and collaborate with team in the design, plan and conduct management studies and projects, assisting in reviews of a wide variety of business operation issues, with extensive scope and impact throughout complex government organizations and for-profit businesses.
- Present ideas to clients/solutions to client.
- Other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelors degree in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Computer Science, other technical degree with experience in information technology (e.g. Engineering, Mathematics) required.
· Masters degree in Systems Engineering, Operations Research, MBA, MPH or other technical fields a plus
· 4-6 years experience in systems engineering, including business process re-engineering and IT systems analysis and design.
· Familiarity with military environment, healthcare, and/or emergency operations desirable.
· Strong ability to obtain requirements and translate them into specifications.
· Demonstrated excellent written and oral communications skills.
· Proficiency in MS Office (including Visio), SharePoint, and Web Ex.
· Motivated, self-starter with ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders.
· Flexibility and interest in working in a fast-paced environment on mission critical projects.
· Excellent presentation skills and comfort in communicating with clients
· Comfort working on site at client offices and participating in internal corporate quality assurance process to ensure work products are up to standard
Security Clearance Level Required
Security clearance desirable. Ability to pass federal security background check required.
Local travel in the Washington, DC metro area to support specific client and team meetings.
Afilon - 21 months ago