Deploys, maintains and administers complex server hardware and operating systems and application software. Monitors system performance and capacity and tracks performance trends. Provides second and third tier technical support to end user departments. Troubleshoots, and works with external vendors, as necessary, to resolve complex system issues. Consults with departments to understand network needs and service requirements and to implement the appropriate integrated network services.
This is the third in a series of three systems-related job classifications within the Information Technology job family. Deploys, maintains and administers server hardware and operating systems and application software. Provides second and third tier technical support to end user departments and consults with departments to understand complex network needs and service requirements and implement the appropriate integrated network services. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, configures and maintains moderate to complex disk storage.
- Develops, configures and maintains servers with complex network operating systems and application software. Schedules software installations and upgrades.
- Troubleshoots and resolves advanced, complex system access and connectivity problems through the use of advanced system utilities.
- Develops and maintains current system operations and backup procedures and data/media recoverability.
- Prepares systems specifications and technical documentation for applications.
- Acquires, tests and applies system software/hardware updates, releases and patches.
- Conducts advanced diagnostics and troubleshoots network hardware components, system software and hardware.
- Recommends and implements system policies and standards and ensures adherence to approved security and disaster recovery procedures.
- Consults with departments on proper systems selection and automation designs to meet business objectives while maintaining full integration with other networks and resources.
- Gathers and documents user requirements. Develops complex system designs.
- Assists in the evaluation of vendor products in hardware, software and telecommunications equipment and recommends purchases consistent with the organizations short-term and long-term objectives.
- Coordinates work performed by outside vendors and monitors vendor service level agreements (SLAs).
- Tracks performance trends, develops reports, maintains data bases, and assists users in utilizing automated systems applications.
- Provides or coordinates user assistance in the field or through Help Desk activities.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or a directly related field AND five (5) years of relevant work experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).
Certified Novell Engineer (CNE).
Novell Certified Linux Engineer (NCLE).
IBM Certified Specialist- Enterprise Technical Support
VMWare Certified Professional (VCP)
Brocade Certified Fabric Professional (BCFP)
IBM Certified Systems Expert- XIV Replication and MIgration Services
IBM Certified Solution Advisor- Tivoli Storage Solutions
Two (2) available positions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Storage hardware and software to include IBM DS8000, DS3000, XIV, SVC, TSM, NetApp, VMWare, Brocade, DCX.
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Information technology hardware, software and peripherals as related to assigned function.
- Network Operating Systems.
- Systems integration and multiple network protocols, such as TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, DHCP, DNS, SNMP.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Both verbal and written communication, including presentations and communicating technical issues in non-technical language.
- Design, install, manage and monitor complex systems, operating system software and applications.
- Work independently and efficiently and as part of a team.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Demonstrate strong customer services skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-40 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to exposure to variations in extreme heat, cold, mechanical, fume/odor, and dust/mites.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Location: 700 Lavaca Street, Austin
Department: Information Technology Systems
Criminal, Education & Employment Background Check Required
Travis County - 17 months ago