The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm specializing in all aspects of education and other social policy issues. AIR prides itself in conducting high-impact, high-stakes projects for significant Federal, state, and private organizations.
AIR’s Information Technology (IT) organization provides technology services for clients both inside and external to AIR. IT maintains three professional-grade data and hosting centers that are supported by a team of engineers monitoring the continuous operations of the network, including servers, security, and applications. Internally, IT provides a wide variety of services that include electronic mail, collaboration, networking, business-specific data base applications, and technical support for applications and web-site developers. Externally, IT delivers web hosting services with rigorous security requirements that satisfy industry standards. AIR is currently looking for a Systems/Network Engineer for its Washington, DC office.
• Provide day to day operational support of web hosting activities and work on a variety of projects designed to improve the Web Hosting Infrastructure for AIR.
• Maintain a highly virtualized Enterprise environment providing IT Service Operations Team support with new system builds, configuration for new hosting applications, maintenance and patching of systems.
• Follow VMware best-practices management and maintenance procedures to provide maximum uptime of the virtualized systems and applications.
• Monitors servers and applications to ensure high availability, usability and security.
• Provides server and network administration and other related support, including maintenance and operation of a diverse array of Windows (2003/2008) and Linux servers.
• Follow security best practices that will assist in maintaining a stable and highly secure IT environment.
• Develops and maintains a working knowledge on a wide range of Enterprise applications and systems to include Active Directory, IIS, SQL and SharePoint in clustered and non-clustered configurations.
• Work directly and effectively with other teams in troubleshooting problems and finding solutions.
• Utilize FootPrints ticket queue to address all server and application issues in a timely manner, recording solutions, and escalating tickets as required.
• Participates in the pager rotation, ensuring uptime of critical servers, networks, and applications.
• Develop and maintain standard operating procedures and other technical documentation for operational tasks.
• Ability to take ownership of complex problems and manage them through to a successful conclusion.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience in the IT industry, or a Master’s degree with 3 years of relevant experience.
• At least one or more certifications in any of these areas will be required: A+, Network+, MDBA, MCTS on MS-SQL, MCITP, MCP, and MCSA.
• Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMware vSphere
• Experience with Microsoft SQL, including installation, administration, configuration, troubleshooting, backup and restoration.
• Solid knowledge of Windows Operating System 2003+ servers and/or Linux servers (Red Hat, Suse), and application systems including concepts, issues, practices, methodologies, and trends relevant to network design and administration.
• Ability to understand and analyze complex issues and information relating to database management.
• Excellent documentation and communication skills, a proactive and detail-oriented approach, a strong team-oriented attitude, and the ability to establish work priorities are required.
• Passion for the craft with a demonstrated ability to learn and understand the technology both at a high level and at a detailed level.
Nice to have:
• Experience with storage arrays and storage area networks (SAN) such as Network Appliance (NetApp) is a plus.
• Demonstrated proficiency with networks and protocols: TCP/IP, ports, application monitoring tools, security techniques and applications, and firewalls.
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...