The Systems Engineer is responsible for analyzing, designing, installing, configuring, and maintaining the network infrastructure, application components, and services for the College. The Systems Engineer ensures reliable operation of networked systems and services in order to provide maximum performance and availability for students, faculty, and staff. |
- Install, configure, and maintain services, networking equipment, and storage systems in a local and wide area network environment using virtualization solutions.
- Provide lead project management for all network engineering initiatives which includes establishing time estimates, costs, and stakeholder involvement.
- Provide network management to ensure high system availability, reliability, and optimal operation of both internal and hosted services.
- Provide monitoring of all networked systems and proactively respond to and correct problems related to network systems hardware and software as needed.
- Design networking systems and applications for secure remote access by remote offices and staff working off campus.
- Design innovative and practical public and private cloud based networking solutions working with IT management and other technical teams.
- Develop formal proposals and review hardware and software specifications for networking systems with impact analyses on the existing infrastructure.
- Report to management regarding network system metrics, future plans, usage, limitations, performance, security, and annual budget forecasting.
- Provide second and third tier support by collaborating with the help desk and training teams.
- Search literature on an ongoing basis for information on the latest web developments and systems technology.
- Attend professional conferences and training courses as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree and at least five years experience installing and supporting network systems, applications and components, or an equivalent combination of education/experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Preferred knowledge with implementing, configuring, and maintaining the following network components: VMWare, NetApp, Cisco, Citrix, Active Directory and Red Hat; CCNA and MCP certifications.
- Public and private cloud implementation and management.
- Excellent organizational and decision making skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines while providing quality customer service and products.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a desire to work in a team environment.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.
Excelsior College - 15 months ago
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...