Position can be located at any of our core locations: Rochester NY, Dallas PA and Allen TX
May perform roles as a Programmer and/or Systems Administrator as dictated by the Manager of System Services.
General systems administration in a dual platform (Windows and Unix/Linux) environment including hardware and software purchasing, installation, customization, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- Will create and update/upgrade Unix/Linux software that provides mail, web, authentication, provisioning, and monitoring services to FrontierNet dialup, DSL, and large capacity Internet customers.
- Will assist in evaluating, developing, and modifying software for new products and/or product enhancements.
- Will assist in troubleshooting software problems as needed after escalation from the NOC and within the System Services group.
- Need to work very closely with the tech support, IT, and product management organizations.
- Attend product development meetings as needed, providing feedback on product requirements. Review and document project and technical specifications with team members and provide work load estimates. May perform some project management functions within the group.
- Meets with team programmers and Systems Administrators to review support of existing services as well as ongoing projects (future products & services).
- Maintain assigned systems and software. This would include all batch jobs, system alerts, administrative programs, and any other miscellaneous utilities used by the system or operations team.
- Responsible for shared 7x24 coverage of the infrastructure and applications that the team supports in a scheduled rotation. Will require occasional after-hours work and after-hours on-call duties.
- Provides technical recommendations for hardware and software to the Manager of System Services.
- Recognize and suggest opportunities for improvement in all aspects of the job.
- Assist in defining system security and administration needs and standards (best practices).
- System/software/configuration audits as needed, with particular attention to system optimization and security.
- Define and set coding (programming) standards.
- Document internal processes.
- Strive to exceed Company expectations as defined in the 3Ps.
- Meet individual and group goals.
- Gain additional skills and knowledge through experience on the job and training.
- Extensive knowledge of Internet Service protocols and applications (DNS, DHCP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, HTTP/HTTPS, and RADIUS) required .
- Extensive knowledge of network support protocols and applications (NFS, DHCP, LDAP and NSS) required .
- Extensive working knowledge of open source software and operating systems, including Postfix, openldap, mysql, apache, proftpd, isc-dhcpd, mrtg, bind, revision control systems (Subversion preferred), and Linux.
- Strong Python, PHP, and UNIX shell scripting skills required . PERL or C experience welcome .
- UNIX database administration experience required . MySQL database experience preferred .
- Experience with storage subsystems and disk space management technology, including network attached storage (NAS) and storage area network (SAN), helpful. Working knowledge of Network Appliance (NetApp) hardware preferred .
- Experience with load-balancing appliances helpful . Working knowledge of F5 BigIP LTM/GTM hardware preferred .
- Server update and configuration skills required .
- 7+ years experience in an ISP environment required.
- Information Systems or Computer Science Bachelors Degree required .
- Creative and persistent at solving technical problems, both on a proactive, planned, project basis as well as a crisis/problem recovery situation.
- Works with minimal supervision and proactively communicates status, issues, and support needs to appropriate manager(s).
- Must be detail oriented and self-managing.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work very closely with the tech support organization.
- Able to lead, communicate, persuade, and educate others in IT and the business.
- Experience with fast-paced, time-constrained development teams.
- Ability to multi-task well including priority management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with both technical and user focuses.
- Ability to mesh well with the existing management team by being a good listener, a team builder, and an articulate advocate of the ISIS vision.
Frontier Communications - 5 months ago
Serving city dwellers and country folk alike, Frontier Communications provides phone, Internet, and satellite TV (through a partnership with...