Purpose of Position:
The Systems Engineer’s role is to design, install, administer, and optimize company servers (both physical and virtual) and related components to achieve high performance of the various business applications supported. This includes ensuring the availability of client/server applications, configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the server environment.
• Provides a deep technical subject matter expertise and leadership for analyzing client platform hardware and software needs. Analyzes, designs, implements, maintains and documents client platforms, operating systems and related infrastructure software components.
• Provides technical leadership across multiple domains with the ability to bring together several technical leads and integrate their thinking and findings into a comprehensive action plans, and then drive the plan.
• Communicates the client platform vision, approach and roadmap to IT leadership.
• Provides senior technical consulting internally to teammates and externally to a variety of IT teams.
• Performs project technical leadership and drives the successful completion of complex, cross functional projects. Contributes to all phases of systems analysis and choreographs implementation activities.
• Performs capacity planning and provide recommendations to enhance performance.
• Schedules and performs installations and upgrades in accordance with established policies and procedures.
• Be point of contact for Development and Engineering customers, developing tactical plans in line with project initiatives and programs. Provide updates and status to stakeholders on project efforts.
• Ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of the in-house information systems that support core organizational functions.
• Where applicable, the Systems Engineer will assist in overseeing the physical security, integrity, and safety of the data center/server farm.
• Proactive remediation of failing components and systems to prevent outages and interruptions.
• Responding to and resolving service outages and interruptions.
• Create and maintain technical documentation to ensure efficient planning and execution.
• Be willing and available for on-call support.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• This position requires deep knowledge of VMware infrastructure in a large multi-node environment. This includes designing, deploying and administering vCloud installations.
• VCP Certification required.
• 8+ years of experience as a Windows System Administrator in an enterprise environment (200+ servers) is required.
• Strong problem determination and resolution skills.
• Deep technical knowledge and demonstrated experience with state-of-the-art tools, methods, and technology as it relates to client system design, deployment, security and support.
• Demonstrated knowledge of technology research techniques and experience managing a portfolio of technical products.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the documentation of technical designs, processes and procedures.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in requirements gathering and development.
• Working knowledge of SAN and storage protoc
• Experience working with backup solutions such as Avamar or Backup Exec.
• Able to support development standards
• Self-starter that can work well in a team environment
• Proactive issue resolution with a positive attitude
• Strong interpersonal skills to interact positively and productively with teams across organizational lines
• Demonstrate well-developed organizational skills, analytical skills, verbal and written communication
• Must be able to function in a dynamic environment subject to impromptu changes in schedules and priorities.
Word & Brown Companies - 9 months ago