TED Prize | New York, NY, United States
The $1 million dollar TED Prize is given annually to someone with a big vision for how to leverage the TED platform and truly unique global community for the realization of a world-changing wish. It is awarded through an open process that attracts thousands of nominations in a wide variety of fields. As such, the TED Prize team is looking for an experienced Researcher who will take the lead on intelligence-gathering through out the process.
The ideal candidate should have at least 3-5 years experience doing related research—likely in either an academic, journalistic, foundation, or policy setting, or finance setting —and must be inspired by TED’s mission. They should also be highly analytical, facile with evaluating impact metrics, inexhaustibly curious, and have a knack for knowing where to find reliable information quickly about anything and everything and communicate it in an accessible way. A background and/or interest in science and the environment is a plus, as is having a wide network of experts and practitioners in the social change sector to call on for informational interviews etc.
Key responsibilities include:
- Doing deep dives on specific approaches to social change, individual actors within the sector, and/or broader research on the most cutting edge conversations happening in a given field; preparing reports and/or presentations on the findings.
- Conducting informational interviews with field experts and translating the big take-aways for the TED Prize team.
- Conducting talent searches in various underrepresented fields and recommending potential nominees.
- Producing rapid reports on specific areas of concern to either the TED Prize team or the TED Prize committee.
- Regularly monitoring the public conversation regarding social change and entrepreneurship and keeping the TED Prize team abreast of the most important trends.
- Regularly attending conferences, meetings, and other events in the social change sector for these same purposes, as well as to scout new talent and approaches.
A passion for TED and a broad interest in the world – including science/technology, design/architecture, global development, entertainment/arts – are big pluses. Candidates should find joy in detail, efficiency, logistics and quality, should be comfortable working in a startup-like environment, and execute their job with a sense of humor. Also: we only hire extremely nice people.
- 3-5 years experience as a researcher
- Bachelor’s degree, with preference for those with Masters or Ph.D.s in related subjects
- Strong sense of impact evaluation and data analysis as it relates to social change
- Strong research and writing skills
- Science degree a plus
This is a full-time position based in TED’s New York office.