Under the direction of the City Engineer, position is responsible for professional and technical work involving traffic signal systems operations, planning, analysis and design of private and public transportation systems and/or networks within the City of Fort Myers.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the City’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Assist with managing Capital Transportation Projects.
- Management or review of consultant’s transportation projects.
- Prepare specifications and cost estimates for transportation related improvements.
- Review traffic studies, reports, plans and specifications of traffic-related impacts and improvements prepared by developers and consultants.
- Ensure compliance with access management, estimate trip generations, review internal capture versus offsite trips, and knowledge of different traffic models, site access circulation and parking.
- Analyze transportation data of application for development land use including: subdivisions, annexations, conditional uses and/or variances, applications and submission of engineering reports to various boards for compliance with City of Fort Myers, Lee County and/or FDOT transportation codes of ordinances, rules, regulations or administrative orders.
- Conducts traffic studies, surveys and analysis of traffic data. Coordination of projects with local state, MPO and other regional agencies. Perform professional planning work in long-range transportation planning and transportation impact analysis.
- Verify, test and calibrate signal-timing models. Determine when traffic signals are warranted; coordinate the design and implementation on new signalization intersections and modifications to existing intersections.
- Consult with contractor, engineers and applicant via meetings or phone. Review various technical publications and correspondences to maintain current knowledge of applicable rules, regulation and new technologies.
- Attend all necessary transportation meetings as City representative.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation, or related field.
- Four years experience in civil engineering, transportation engineering, or related work ; or an equivalent combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must possess Intern Engineering Certification.
- Must possess a Professional Engineering License; or must be able to obtain Professional Engineering license within one (1) year of hire date.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record.
- Able to read and interpret engineering plans and specifications.
- Able to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software.
- Able to operate necessary equipment, including personal computer, ma
- terminal, calculator, copier, facsimile machine and other standard office equipment.
Tasks involve sitting for long periods of time; standing, walking; kneeling, bending, stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling and performing other physical requirements commensurate with demands of position. Requires ability to utilize a variety of modern office equipment. Must have good vision (corrective lenses acceptable); must be able to hear (hearing aids acceptable); must be able to speak (express or exchange of information by means of spoken words). The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Contact with internal and external customers, vendors, outside agencies and the general public.
- Occasionally exposed to adverse weather conditions.
- May be required to work hours other than the regular schedule including evening, weekend, holidays and during emergencies.
The intent of this class description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that would be performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this classification.
City of Fort Myers, FL - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard