Job Summary: The Mode Manager is a key interface between Carestream (CSH) and our logistics service providers. The Mode Manager is responsible for managing some aspects of the carrier relationship and ensuring that CSH partners with service providers that can meet our operational and financial requirements.
This position combines strategic planning with tactical daily operational support for a particular mode of transportation. The Mode Manager communicates externally with carrier representatives on operational issues, internally with CSH business unit representatives to ensure the businesses logistics needs are being met, with Purchasing to jointly source logistics services and also with Logistics to develop, implement and adjust warehouse-carriers interactions and schedules.
Primary Job Duties/Responsibilities: 90%
o Arrange and host Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR) for strategic carrier partners.
- Support SPU’s with transportation expertise. Participate in meetings, and on project teams to add necessary insight on transportation-related issues. Offer solutions and assist in implementing processes for the benefit of CSH. 15%
- Identify opportunities to reduce transportation costs or transit times through ongoing data analysis. Develop and present business cases and project plans to SC&L and SPU management. Manage the implementation of these projects and report on results on a regular basis in order to meet Annual Operating Plan for mode. 20%
- Report monthly performance for mode; including actual spend vs. AOP, actual LT vs standard LT and pre-defined quality metrics. Spend reporting includes variance analysis and explanation. 10%
- Lead effort to develop and implement annual sourcing strategy for transportation and logistics services. Mode manager will work closely with WWP Commodity Manager in this regard, using knowledge of current market situation, economic conditions and business requirements. 15%
- Carrier/Logistics Partner Management: Manage logistics service providers through the following efforts; 30%
o Establish carrier performance metrics required to ensure SC&L is meeting internal and external customer expectations regarding delivery. (measures are mode specific)
o Interface with freight payment provider to ensure carriers invoice CSH accurately and on time. Ensure freight charges are assigned correctly to CSH businesses.
o Analyze carrier performance metrics and perform root-cause analysis through use of quality tools to identify and eliminate service defects. Work with carriers to correct and improve performance (related to on-time performance, loss, damage) where necessary.
Other Responsibilities 10%
- Assist in developing annual budget for modal expense, based on projected volumes, rates and lane mix fluctuations.
- Assist transportation planners by providing necessary data and tools to help determine optimal routing for shipments.
- Monitor and minimize usage of non-preferred carriers
- Work closely with Logistics Operations to implement new carriers and make necessary changes to existing carrier schedules, processes and IT interfaces.
- Freight Claim management: Ensure freight claims are paid in a timely manner; work with carrier to minimize claims and maximize recoveries by performing root-cause analysis and implementing changes as needed.
- Contingency Planning: Develop contingency plans for situations that could cause significant and network disruptions that impact customer service levels including but not limited to; labor strikes, natural and man-made disasters, as well as other situations that could be expected to occur and impact CSH transportation networks.
Desired Education and Experience:Formal Education:
- Change agent skills: position requires ability to implement process changes impacting multiple organizations
- Strong organizational, communication, and leadership skills required
- Individual must display a strong sense of urgency
- Self-directed work. Individual must be able to determine correct methods and procedures to be used in order to meet goals and follow through with little supervision.
- Analytical ability; individual must be able to gather and analyze data from various systems using spreadsheets, databases and other tools.
- Negotiation skills
- Cross-Functional team skills; ability to lead, facilitate or participate in cross-functional teams.
- Strategic Outlook: individual must be able to understand long-term implications of decisions as well as impact on all aspects of the business.
- Bachelor’s Degree Minimum
- In depth understanding of transportation and logistics industry
- General understanding of finance and accounting helpful
- Project Management experience
- Cross-functional team facilitation
- Systems skills – SAP, MS Excel, Access, web-based applications
- Individual must be able to work independently with minimal guidance required. This implies good time management, planning/organization, and decision making skills.
- Individual must be able to work well in teams with others from diverse organizational functions and backgrounds as both a leader and an individual contributor.
- This position requires strong communication skills and the ability to interface with individuals at all levels, functions and geographic regions of the company. Individuals must be able to establish and motivate teams while having no positional authority.
- Individual must be able to document processes, creating standard work instructions, as well as train other Transportation team members to act as backup support.
Carestream Health - 20 months ago
Carestream Health gets the picture. The company develops and sells imaging products to help dentists, doctors, and scientists take, process,...