The Tax Analyst assists in implementing corporate tax strategy to ensure timely reporting of state and local tax returns, efficient audits of books and records, and analyzing historical records for tax accounting, compliance, audit and planning purposes, for a family of companies comprised of partnerships and corporations.
This position is a ‘State And Local Taxes’ (SALT) role, with accounting, compliance, audit and planning emphasis. It is heavy on multijurisdictional sales and use tax and will assist with state income tax compliance and reporting as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Prepare multijurisdictional sales, use, excise, gross receipts, and tax returns and payments with supporting schedules, reconciliations and other documentation as needed.
- Maintain Customer and Vendor Exemption Certificates and related documentation and history.
- Maintain knowledge of changing regulations, and apply such changes in an auditable format as approved by management. Review tax and accounting records and tax filings to ensure compliance with state and local tax laws and regulations. Interprets and analyzes state and local legislative tax law changes.
- Provide ongoing tax support for commercial groups and local offices, including; nexus profiles; maintenance of jurisdictional tax matrices; periodic and ad hoc training for local offices, and; other operational tax support, research and documentation as may be needed.
- Maintain all related tax schedules and reports for compliance, tax accounting and books and records in appropriate form for analysis and audit. Document research results and financial tax reporting activities.
- Audit liaison for state and local transactional tax audits. Write and maintain project reports and schedules related to the audits.
- Determine work procedures, set priorities, prepare work schedules and expedite tax workflow
- Special assignments or tasks assigned to the employee by their superior, as determined from time to time, at their sole and complete discretion
Education and Experience:
- Self-starter who works well independently and as a member of a team
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, written and verbal. Can speak in front of a group.
- Firm understanding of the importance of the work, timing and accuracy in all work products
- Strong Excel skills; good Word and PowerPoint skills
- 2+ years General Ledger experience (Great Plains a plus)
- Experience with multi company accounting
- Experience in design use of flow charts
- Accounting or related degree
- Three plus years of State transactional tax compliance (partnership and corporate tax environment)
- CMI certificate - sales/use tax a plus
At Stallion, we're committed to protecting our most valuable resource-our employees.
With an emphasis on understanding, experience and...