Responsible for collecting and analyzing subsidiary information, and for preparing significant aspects of the tax provision calculation under ASC740, estimated payments, and quarterly and year-end closing schedules. Assist in completing and filing of the Company’s various Federal and State tax returns including income taxes, capital stock taxes, Public Utility Realty Taxes, and sales and use taxes.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Responsible for the following functions:
1. Assist in completing and filing of the Federal and State income tax returns, the Pennsylvania Capital Stock tax return, the Pennsylvania Public Utility tax return, and other returns necessary. Coordinates the filing and preparation of these returns directly with outside auditors.
2. Calculates required amount for all required periodic Federal and state tax payments. Assures payment amounts are sufficient to avoid penalties and comply with all filing deadlines and adequately consider the financial position and operations of the Company.
3. Assist in implementing and documenting proper tax accounting procedures. Assures that methods and procedures developed will limit the Company’s exposure in the event of audit.
4. Prepares supporting schedules necessary for the completion of Pennsylvania tax returns and directs the work of the general accounting and fixed asset accountants in this regard. Prepares CIAC & CAC tax schedules with CPR department to determine deductibility of refunds or inclusion of income where applicable. Oversees maintenance of computerized tax depreciation records for over $4 billion of utility plant assets.
5. Assists Manager of Taxation in the review of other operating units’ tax reporting packages.
6. Ability to research tax laws and assess impact on company with guidance from Manager of Taxation.
7. Responsible to stay current on significant new Federal and state tax legislation and related financial accounting developments with regard to compliance and tax provision issues that may impact the Company. Advises Manager of Taxation of required changes in policies to comply with the procedures and determines any financial impact to the Company.
8. Assists Manager of Taxation in due diligence required in all acquisitions, mergers and reorganizations. Determines tax basis of assets necessary to record acquisitions.
9. Works closely with external tax accountants to ensure timely review and resolution of any issues.
10. Identifies tax issues or areas of concern that may warrant follow-up or review by the Manager of Taxation, and assists in the resolution of the issue.
11. Assists in the preparation of tax provision schedules and information under ASC740 schedules. Maintains account analyses of all key tax accounts for Corporation, and Aqua PA. Responsible to interact and support external audit team in the review of the tax provision calculations. Reviews account analyses of other operating subsidiaries.
12. Performs other special assignments as required.
13. Responsible for one or more key internal controls in support of the Company’s financial reporting process, the proper functionality of which play an important role in determining whether the Company’s overall internal controls are functioning effectively.
A minimum of five years experience in Federal and state income tax compliance is required. Experience in preparing or reviewing ASC740 provision calculations is required. Prefer experience in a capital-intensive, multi-location organization.
Federal & State income taxes $68 million
PA Capital Stock $1.5 million
PURTA $2 million
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
Aqua America, Inc. - 7 months ago
Aqua America helps keep water clean and people quenched. It is a holding company for regulated utilities that provide water distribution and...