A Core Tax Services Senior Associate is responsible for utilizing research skills, applying tax foundational knowledge to understand potential tax issues, gathering client information necessary for filing, participating in tax planning, recognizing and communicating potential risks, preparing tax accrual workpapers and working with tax software applications to complete tax returns for review. In this role, the Core Tax Services Senior Associate may be charged with supervising and reviewing the work of Core Tax Services Associates.
External Job Description - Essential Duties/Functions
Ensures both that (a) clients comply with all applicable authorities, while at the same time minimizing their tax and reporting burdens, and (b) self and client service teams comply with all Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (“TQM”).
- Manages projects by planning the tax process and the procedures to be performed with quality;
- Answers preparer questions, and coordinates engagement from onset by communicating expectations and procedures with preparers;
- Conducts detailed reviews on all returns and appropriate review notes for preparers; raises potential tax issues;
- Meets internal deadlines to match the client expectations for timely delivery of service;
- Identifies book-to-tax differences.
Identifies when research is needed; clearly and concisely frames issues to be researched; and clearly and concisely reports the analysis.
- Applies most Firm and professional standards for preparation of WTA and tax returns.
ASC 740-10 (FAS 109 and FIN 48) Tax Accruals
Correctly and proactively applies Firm policies, standards, and the BDO Tax Quality Manual (TQM) regarding FAS 109 and FIN 48.
- Prepares provision workpapers and discusses with the appropriate team members;
- Identify and discuss uncertain positions with team members;
- Review & prepare footnote disclosures in compliance with 740-10-55.
Assists with developing, recommending, and implementing efficient and effective methods to maximize client benefits, especially by decreasing clients’ current and future taxes.
- Identifies consulting opportunities to reduce client’s tax liability;
- Provides efficient and effective support for client consulting projects;
- Gathers relevant information for controversy work, efficiently and effectively;
- Documents all significant tax positions, clearly, correctly, and in accordance with Firm and office policies (by creating memorandums to the files – Tax issues Memos) and ensures that proper documentation is archived to GoFileRoom.
Introduces and develops new or improved ideas to improve the position of clients, the Firm, or Firm personnel, e.g., by reducing taxes or expenses or providing non-tax benefits.
- May be required to prepare studies of tax implications and offers clients alternative courses of action.
Other duties as required
- May supervise and manage the day-to-day work assignments of Core Tax Services Associates
- Provides verbal and written performance feedback to Core Tax Associates, as necessary
- Acts as mentor to Core Tax Services Associates
External Job Description - Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or other relevant field required
- Masters degree in Accounting beneficial, masters degree in taxation preferred
- Two (2) to three (3) years of prior experience
- Experience with corporate taxation, consolidations, and partnerships preferred
- Prior basic supervisory experience preferred
- Prior experience preparing and reviewing of tax provisions preferred
- Passed CPA Exam preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office Tools (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook), and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience with tax research databases such as BNA and RIA Proficient in all tax compliance process software including GoFileRoom, GoSystemRS, Caseware, BNA Depreciation Software, or comparable programs and standard tax workpapers
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Able to follow instructions as directed by members of Tax Team
- Able to prepare simple tax returns
- Takes appropriate actions without being asked
- Seeks advice of appropriate superiors regarding issues, problems related to compliance
- Ability to effectively delegate work as needed
- Trains other team members
- Strong analytical, research and critical thinking skills
- Able to work well in a team environment
BDO USA, LLP - 20 months ago
BDO has over 90 years of experience providing value-added assurance, accounting, tax and advisory services to a broad range of clients...