Please note that this application is only for TFA 2014 Corps Members who have already been accepted into Teach for America.
JOB TITLE: Teacher (Teach For America Corps Member 2014)
REPORTS TO: School Director
JOB GOAL : YES Prep teachers commit to ensuring that all of our students, regardless of zip-code attain an excellent education on the path toward college completion. The Commitment to College Completion Contract is signed by all incoming students, teachers and families each school year. The teachers’ responsibilities in the YES Prep Commitment to College Completion include:
- We will arrive at YES Prep on time and will remain for the entire school day.
- We will support our students at YES Prep on appropriate Saturdays.
- We will attend and participate in all staff meetings and professional development.
- We will treat every student fairly and with respect.
- We will teach YES Prep students in the best way we know how, and we will do Whatever It Takes for our students to learn, including providing students with our phone numbers for questions about homework after school.
- We will always make ourselves available to work with students and parents, and we will address any concerns they might have.
- We will be the first both to correct AND to congratulate our students.
- We will provide tutorials for our students as needed to support their learning.
- We will respond to all communication from students, parents, and fellow staff members within 24 hours.
- We will always protect the safety, interests, and rights of all individuals in the classroom.
- We will provide a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum along with necessary support in order to prepare every YES Prep student to be accepted to and graduate from a four-year college or university.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Teach approximately six periods, as directed by the School Director;
- Plan and deliver engaging, rigorous lessons, according to students’ needs and the provided curriculum, where applicable;
- Maintain a positive, safe, and organized learning environment;
- Update gradebook on a weekly basis;
- Inform students and families about students’ progress;
- Implement school-wide student management policies within classroom and campus;
- Actively participate in all teams, including grade level, content team, and other teams as designated by the campus;
- Make parental contact by phone and/or conduct home visits when necessary;
- Attend parent meetings and conferences;
- Chaperone local and out-of-state field lessons, including but not limited to student Spring Trips;
- Conduct morning, lunch, and afternoon duties during assigned times;
- Complete and submit all necessary paperwork in a timely manner;
- Additional duties as assigned
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Skills and Mindsets:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION :
Length of Work Year:
10-month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required. The start date for this position will be July 15th, 2014.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
* The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
YES Prep Public Schools - 10 months ago
copy to clipboard
These students are hooked on higher education. The University of Texas System runs nine universities throughout the Lone Star State with a...