KIPP Delta Public Schools is a network of high-performing charter schools that is planning to expand from four to thirteen schools over the next several years. Given its success, the KIPP model has been featured on Oprah, 60 Minutes, and in the Wall Street Journal. KIPP Delta College Preparatory School has been named a Blue Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education, and KIPP Delta Collegiate was recently named the 2nd best high school in Arkansas by US News and World Report.
Nature of Work
Duties and Responsibilities
- Hours of work: Monday- Friday 7:15am-4:45pm (2 Saturdays each month; one field lesson and one professional development) We will have meetings and professional development that fall on a weekday after the regular hours. The expectation is to be flexible and attend all trainings and meetings.
- Work involves assisting the teacher in a K-4 setting, which provides a comprehensive program to meet educational, emotional, social, health, nutritional, and psychological needs of children.
- Work with the teacher to facilitate activities for all children both indoors and outdoors; including whole and small group lessons, assessments, and individualized instruction.
- The teacher assistant is supervised in the classroom by the teacher and on a secondary level by the Grade Level Chair.
- The teacher and GLC will provide input to the Assistant Principal and School Director regarding the performance evaluation of the teacher assistant.
- The teacher assistant shall receive training and technical assistance from the teacher, the GLC, the Assistant Principal, and the School Director.
- Assists the teacher in planning and maintaining a safe, clean, learning environment and in assuring the well being and safety of the children in his/her care.
- Follows all policies and procedures of KIPP Delta Elementary Literacy Academy
- Exhibits a genuine nurturing, caring, and respectful attitude towards all children.
- Maintains a cooperative attitude of working together with the teacher, volunteers, parents, and administartors in planning and implementing lessons and activities.
- Assists teacher to implement the assessments (DIBELS Letter Naming Fluency, DIBELS Nonsense Word Fluency, Pre-Reading Probe, Beginning Decoding Survey, Advanced Decoding Survey, Fountas & Pinnell, Saxon Math Written and Oral Tests, and any other assessments that will guide the classroom instruction) for each child to determine the child’s academic strengths and areas in which each child may need help.
- Plans with and assists the teacher in preparing materials and supplies in advance for lessons and daily activities.
- Assists the teacher in maintaining confidential child classroom folders, by collecting samples of children’s work.
- Assists the teacher in maintaining a confidential assessment binder, consisting of assessments, individual goals, and observations of progress toward meeting goals.
- Shares in the development and implementation of written lesson plans with the teacher.
- Fulfills duties at the school on a rotating schedule like car-rider, bus, or afterschool duty on a rotating basis in the afternoon as assigned by administration to extend learning environment to after school.
- Assists teacher in implementing behavior plans designed by resource teachers and/or Special Education teacher
- Assists the teacher in maintaining discipline and supervision of children during all KIPP Delta ELA activities, as defined in our Behavior Expectation Policy.
- Protects all children from physical punishment or verbal abuse by anyone in any program activity, and immediately reports any such incident to the administrator.
- Works cooperatively with the teacher as a team, to encourage the active participation of all parents in the classroom.
- Becomes familiar with the teacher’s written lesson plans, the daily schedule, methods for recording attendance, and all other daily duties of the teacher.
- Assumes the teacher’s role in leading selected activities during designated parts of the class-day on a periodic basis for training purposes and emergencies.
- Assists the teacher in safeguarding all classroom supplies and equipment.
- Attends all training opportunities as provided by KIPP Delta and all staff meetings called by the school director.
- Attends training opportunities provided by other agencies as recommended by administration.
- Is willing to do whatever it takes to get our students to and through college
KIPP Delta - 14 months ago