The Teaching Assistant is an enthusiastic, self-starter dedicated to positive youth development and capable of engaging students in a variety of fun, hands-on learning experiences. He/she will be responsible for supervising and creating a family dynamic amongst a group of 12 - 15 youth while providing a safe, caring and fun environment for all participants. The Teaching Assistant must have the knowledge and skills required to create and facilitate fun, educational and age-appropriate lessons and activities. The Teaching Assistant serves as a direct staff person working in collaboration with vendors, educators, other contractors and the Site Supervisor to ensure program goals are met. He/she is required to participate 100% of the time with students in all group activities, and vendor led demonstrations, whether recreational or academic.
Education and Experience Required:
1. Associates degree OR at least 60 credit hours at an accredited four-year college or university strongly preferred.
2. For candidates who do not possess the above educational requirements, previous experience working with school aged youth is required. Previous experience working with high school youth in a group setting is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required :
1. Knowledge of positive methods to keep teenagers engaged and motivated to learn.
2. First Aid and CPR certification and CPI (Case Prevention and Intervention) training is required.
3. Ability to assess students prior knowledge and assure lesson and activities are developmentally appropriate.
4. Knowledge of classroom management techniques and ability to create an orderly learning environment.
5. Ability to work cooperatively with supervisors, colleagues and all agency staff.
6. Ability to be flexible to adapt to change.
7. Ability to accept supervision and demonstrate interest and willingness to continue personal and professional growth.
8. Skill to research innovative strategies for student engagement.
9. Ability to represent the agency and program in a professional manner.
10. Skill to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues, parents, students and school staff.
11. Ability to work with children, parents and all members of the community, regardless of race, gender, age and cultural or ethnic background.
12. Ability to positively mediate student conflict.
13. Ability to represent the agency as a professional at all times.
14. Ability to maintain professional and ethical standards.
15. Knowledge of team-building techniques and activities for youth.
16. Physical ability to lift a minimum of 15-20 lbs (due to requirement to move and store program supplies, as well us set up rooms for student activities) and engage in indoor and outdoor physical activities, games and sports with participants.
Other Skills and Abilities Required:
The employee fulfilling this job is accountable to the assigned supervisor for completion of assignments and to the high standards of accuracy, attention to detail, and timely completion of work. Expectations include: a pleasant, empathetic, sensitive and professional demeanor, a positive attitude and a willing spirit. The employee must be willing to engage in professional development efforts as available to the position and required by management.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Arrive promptly at designated starting time to work site, allowing for adequate set-up and prep time.
2. Actively engage with and supervise students 100% of the time.
3. Create active, hands-on and age-appropriate lesson plans and submit weekly to Site Supervisor for approval.
4. Ensure activities are prepared in advance and all needed materials are on-hand and accessible.
5. Ensure students have an opportunity to reflect (give feedback) on program activities and offerings.
6. Provide a safe, caring and enjoyable environment for all participants.
7. Demonstrate program core values of: inclusion, commitment, respect, safety and fun and constantly encourage students to do the same.
8. Provide tutoring and academic support to participants.
9. Encourage and support youth in building new skills.
10. Lead students in team-building activities to ensure the cohesiveness of groups (student families).
11. Maintain frequent communication with parents to ensure student attendance and retention.
12. Attend all required staff meetings and program trainings.
13. Supervise students on all scheduled field trips and participate in field trip activities.
14. Comply with all reporting procedures and audits required by the Michigan Department of Education.
15. Report on the progress of students, and discuss individual performance and any problems with Site Supervisor.
16. Attend to sick children and those in need of First Aid.
17. Provide information, positive and/or negative, to parents regarding their childs participation (with Site Supervisor approval).
18. Observe and adhere to all SFS rules and regulations as well as all SFS policies and procedures.
19. Cooperate in any investigation related to personnel, licensing, accreditation or other circumstances.
20. Maintain client confidentiality.
21. Assist in finding and directing clients in case of an emergency such as a fire or tornado.
22. Perform other reasonably related duties as requested by immediate supervisor or other management.
NOTE: The job duties listed are typical examples of the work performed by the position in this job classification. Not all duties are included. It is expected an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: The successful candidate for this position will be required to provide 3 letters of recommendation, satisfactorily complete a drug screen, TB test, national and state background check and DHS clearance (additional items may be required dependent upon position).
Minimum rate: $13.51 / hour
Job Family: Technical Support
Deadline: This posting will close in five days or when the position is filled.
Starfish Family Services is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of SFS not to discriminate in its employment and personnel practices because of a persons race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state, or other applicable law.
To apply please complete the information below.