Summary: Under the direction of the Program Consultant, the Teaching Parent couple provides the day to day care and guidance of assigned youths in a residential care setting.
- Teaches youth a curriculum of skills in social, self help, independent living, maintenance, and academic areas and provides moral, spiritual, and physical training and guidance to the youths assigned to the couple's home.
- Provides or coordinates academic assistance to youths and works closely with the public school system.
- Operates the home and the program of care on a 24 hour per day, 365 days per year basis.
- Develops a normalized home environment that encourages the development of close family relationships among the youths. Provides a naturalized family living experience.
- Has primary responsibility for providing counseling, concern, direction, assistance, and support which would normally be received from a parent.
- Implements an individualized plan of care for each youth.
- Works closely with the youths' parents, teachers, social workers, and significant others to ensure the definition and implementation of a proper and effective program of youth care to assist each youth in achieving to his/her maximum potential.
- Supervises an Alternate Teaching Parent who provides coverage and program continuity during the Teaching-Parent's time off duty.
- Manages money and expend funds for youth home operation. Maintains a checking account and other fiscal records as directed and in accordance with sound business practice.
- Remains informed about local, state, and federal standards and regulations pertaining to the provision of services to children and their families.
- Assists in providing the following functions: Admission of children to the home; Residential services for children and their families; discharge of children from the receiving home; maintenance of case records
- Establishes and maintains contact with program referral sources by making personal visits and other contacts to agencies and others within a service area.
- Interprets the Home's philosophy and programs to individuals and groups, agencies, and the "community at large" within a service area.
- Assists with preparation for home licensure. Is knowledgeable of and maintains compliance with all licensing standards.
- Takes advantage of professional growth opportunities and works to achieve or maintain Teaching Parent certification status.
- Works closely with the assigned supervisor/consultant to develop and implement all areas of care for the youths in the home. Seeks consultation and provides detailed information regarding all significant issues affecting youths in care.
- Cooperates in scheduling consultation/supervision visits to the home. Seeks out, responds positively to, and implements suggestions and feedback from supervisors.
- Provides and maintains requested information and program records.
- Performs related duties as requested by the Director of Residential Services.
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university, in the fields of human service or education, and/or experience working with children or other populations with special needs preferred.
- The ability to take advantage of extensive training and to apply that training to the implementation of a comprehensive program of care for children.
- Must be physically capable of restraining youth if said youth are a danger to themselves or others.
- Must be physically capable and willing to teach and assist youth in maintenance activities occurring in and around the youth home. Activities include but are not limited to:
- Yard Care
- Interior Cleaning
- Vehicle Cleaning and Maintenance
- Must Possess a valid Arkansas Driver's License and must be insurable to operate company vehicles.
- Maintains mandatory employee requirements as needed.
Note: Teaching Parents are employed as individuals but are hired as a married couple to live in and to implement a family styled program of care. If one member of the Teaching Parent couple leaves their position, the spouse's position will automatically terminate.
Indeed - 6 months ago