Team Lead, Property & Sales Tax Reporting-25654
Xcel Energy has an opportunity for a Team Lead to join our Property and Sales Tax Reporting team in Minneapolis, MN!
This position will require approximately 10-15% travel between Minneapolis and Denver.
This position will lead a team of Consultants and Analysts and will provide high-level technical expertise and work direction in all property and sales tax compliance and accounting matters, and will coordinate the handling of reviews performed by internal and external financial auditors for GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley purposes. The position will also coordinate efforts to file state and local sales tax returns and annual statement of property/renditions, reconcile data, and make timely payments.
- Team Lead – Direct the day-to-day activities of the property and sales tax consultants and analysts and assist in coordinating the overall activities of the Property and Sales Tax Reporting group. Provide guidance in the development of team members, and assist in the determination of individual and team goals. Provide input on the performance of team members.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Accounting and Forecasting – Participate at a high technical level in the computation, recording and documentation of property and sales/use tax accruals to ensure compliance GAAP, regulatory, and the Sarbanes-Oxley provisions. Coordinate the department’s efforts in this area and consolidate the results. Also coordinate efforts related to forecasting and internal or external reporting.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Compliance – Coordinate the preparation and timely filing of all state sales tax returns and property tax annual statement of property/renditions. Responsible for the review of returns, and assist with analysis of results. Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of state and local property and sales tax laws, ordinances, rule and regulations. Coordinate the preparation and review of property tax accruals and make payments in a manner that minimizes company cash requirements.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Defense – Represent the company to tax authorities in regard to tax reporting matters. Facilitate the resolution of issues to attain the lowest fair tax payable. Provide in-depth transactional research, experience and creative thinking to the process of gathering facts, evaluating alternative positions, and determining strategies.
- Property and Sales/Use Tax Strategy – Keep abreast of current changes in tax laws, ordinances, regulations, and rulings. Demonstrate ability to inform department management of the nature and effect of changes and if appropriate, recommend courses of action. Monitor and evaluate initiatives and trends that impact the industry. Develop and maintain contacts both inside and outside the company for purposes of seeking out tax minimization opportunities.
- Tax Policy and Planning - Assist in the development of strategies and plans. Lead cross-functional teams to assure that the strategies and plans meet changing business, customer, and statutory requirements. Provide consulting to all business areas to assure that the plans are integrated into overall strategic and operational plans.
- All other as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business
- 7 years of progressive experience with property and sales taxes
- Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate information and recommendations to department management
- Effective at giving and receiving information in individual or group situations
- Ability to work extended hours
- CPA (Certificate Public Accountant) or MBA
Primary Location: MN-Minneapolis
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xcel Energy - 24 months ago
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...