Under the direction of the Customer Care Supervisor, the Customer Care Team Lead assists in implementation of organizational and departmental policies, procedures and protocols in order to ensure that the highest possible level of service is provided to clients who visit OHS or who contact OHS via phone or mail. The Customer Care Team Lead must facilitate collaborative and helpful interactions between the staff, volunteers and the public and promote a safe, collaborative and team centered working environment. All OHS staff members contribute to the stewardship of the organization’s mission and are expected to stay current on and understand issues related to animal welfare and OHS programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.
Ensure that all daily operational and closing tasks are completed in a thorough and timely manner including adoptions, customer correspondence, inter-agency communication, ushering, data entry, coaching and department presentation. Monitor quality of work and offer feedback for improvement as needed. Monitor the progress and completion of special projects as assigned.
Perform Customer Care Representative level 3 duties and responsibilities as a mentor and teammate. Role model OHS Customer Service Values and hold Customer Care team members to the same standards.
Monitor the flow of animals through the shelter on a daily basis, prioritizing special needs as required and escalating concerns as appropriate. These responsibilities include:
Ensure that Adoption and Admissions processes occur according to schedule and quality requirements.
Manage client flow. Answer phones and questions pertaining to Customer Care. Greet and interact with the general public in a friendly, professional, and respectful manner at all times. Work with the public, staff and volunteers to resolve complaints and issues in a productive and collaborative manner.
Monitor and assess client interactions and assist with difficult questions or situations. Elevate client concerns to responsible parties and departments as needed.
Provide motivation, recognition and encouragement to all Customer Care Representatives. Assist with special projects and mentor staff for professional growth and department effectiveness.
Adhere to all OHS personnel policies and procedures. Participate in selection and interviewing processes for new staff members. Participate in new hire orientation and on boarding activities as requested. Assign a “buddy” to each new staff member and monitor learning progress and training needs of new staff members.
Promote team development and assist in resolving and mitigating conflicts. Lead and participate in teambuilding activities. Role model professionalism and mutual respect during all interactions with staff. Report performance concerns, staffing shortages and/or morale issues to department supervisor or Customer Care Supervisor or Manager in a timely and accurate manner.
Collaborate with other OHS departments and staff members to ensure a holistic, customer focused approach to animal adoptions. Proactively assist and communicate with the Animal Care, Behavior and Medical Operations teams in order to effectively and efficiently present a unified system or process to the client.
Ensure that supplies and equipment are used correctly and that adequate inventories are maintained. Notify Maintenance department when repairs or preventative maintenance is needed. Support the Customer Care Supervisor and Manager in maintaining spending according to established budget parameters.
Adhere to all OHS safety, injury reporting, training, and handling and transportation protocols in order to ensure that the Shelter environment is safe for animals, the public, volunteers and other employees. Wear required clothing, identification and safety garments/equipment as defined by OHS policies and procedures.
Adhere to all OHS volunteer guidelines. Communicate with and guide the work of assigned volunteers on a daily basis to ensure their most effective and efficient utilization. Assist in training volunteers. Observe and give regular feedback about volunteer capabilities and training needs to Volunteer Services Manager in order to continuously improve work quality and improve the ability to augment area functionality
Assist with public education events such as tours, presentations and in-shelter types of education such as animal behavior training, Shelter Greeter Training and Shelter Day Camp.
Consistently attend and act as a liaison in department, safety and staff meetings.
Perform any other duty as request by management.
- Optimizing shelter capacity to ensure that we are meeting the needs of admissions clients as space becomes available;
- Monitoring and managing animal showing wait times in order to optimize adopting client satisfaction; and
- Partnering with Animal Care, Behavior and Medical teams, or other applicable departments whenever necessary to achieve positive results.
This position interacts and collaborates will all levels of the organization, ranging from entry level employees to executive team members. Interaction with OHS staff members, volunteers and a diverse cross section of the general public is constant. Contact and communication is carried out through face to face, radio, telephone and electronic interactions. Communication must be clear, understandable, professional and respectful in all circumstances.
- Work is performed in an animal shelter environment, with occasional exposure to various outdoor conditions.
- Holiday , weekend and evening work may be required. Reliable attendance is required.
- Animal contacts and related injuries may occur.
- Noise exposure varies and frequently includes uncontrolled barking and other animal vocalizations.
- Animal waste related contact, smells and visual exposure is prevalent.
- Contact with angry or emotional people may occur.
Decision Making Authority
Work according to standard instructions and established procedures. Completed work is checked during work cycle.
- Prolonged standing, sitting and/or stooping may occur.
- Frequent climbing and bending.
- Frequent pushing and pulling of carted items weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Frequent use of hands and arms at or above shoulder level.
- Ability to respond and perform life saving techniques in an emergency situation.
- Occasional driving on public roadways in varying weather and traffic conditions.
Education, Training and Competencies:
- Initial and continued employment is conditional upon the successful inspection of a criminal background check and a Motor Vehicle Records check. Background checks may be requested on a periodic basis throughout employment. This position is subject to pre-placement drug screening.
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- 3-5 year(s) work experience providing customer service in a professional work environment.
- Trained and certified in CPR and First Aid. Able to maintain certification throughout the course of employment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to communicate with a diverse population in a consistently informative, respectful and professional manner.
- Able to maintain a professional appearance and exercise sound judgment during all interactions with the public, staff and volunteers.
- Knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of dog and cat breeds.
- Intermediate experience with computer hardware and software programs.
- Able to work weekends, evenings and holidays as requested.
- Able to be bonded, maintain a valid Oregon or Washington Driver’s License and provide proof of insurance.
- 1+ year(s) supervisory experience
- 2+ years related coursework at an accredited college or university
- 3-5 years animal shelter experience
Celebrating 137 years of service to animals in this community, the Oregon Humane Society is the leading animal welfare organization in the...