As a member of the GIS (Global Information Services)Enterprise Architecture & Standards team this position is responsible for defining and implementing technology standards and best practices in the areas of applications, technology platforms, and infrastructure services. The incumbent will partner with other Vertex GIS areas including Application Development, Client Account Management and Infrastructure Services to design technology standards and designs which increase capabilities, scalability and performance. S/he will stay abreast of industry standards, market forces and emerging technologies to understand their impact and how they can be best leveraged within the Vertex organization and technology landscape.
S/he will participate in setting the long-term strategic technology direction for the organization with a 3-4 year planning horizon. Additionally, the position will require strong oral and written communication skills to act as a liaison between the architecture organization and other areas within GIS. The incumbent will be a permanent member of the GIS Architecture Review Council and will significantly drive understanding and adoption of the new architecture and standards across GIS. S/he will provide architectural oversight of GIS project activities to ensure adherence to standards and best practices. This position will report to the Head, GIS Enterprise Architecture & Standards.
S/he will play a critical role within the implementation of the Enterprise Business Systems transformation initiative acting as the technical architect supporting the project team. In this capacity the incumbent will be responsible for ensuring alignment to Enterprise Architecture standards and industry best practices. Familiarity with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12, Fusion Middleware, Security Suite and other core technology components is preferred.
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, MA, we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist, and most recently was named the top employer in Science magazine's 2011 annual survey. For more information and to view Vertex's press releases, please visit www.vrtx.com.
- Define and refine GIS's IT technical architecture standards.
- Define GIS's IT application landscape with a focus on application rationalization.
- As a member of the GIS Enterprise Architecture & Standards group, contribute to the development and evolution of the Enterprise Reference Architecture. and the Information Architecture.
- Ensure the consistent application of IT architecture principles and adherence to the Enterprise reference architecture through participation on the Architecture Review Council.
- Provide oversight within the GIS System Lifecycle (SLC) to ensure alignment between current initiatives and IT standards and reference architecture
- Participate in global strategic technology evaluations for GIS.
- Oversee a continuous technology benchmarking process to seek best practices inside and outside the healthcare industry. - Regularly assess the IT landscape and emerging/maturing technologies for impact on current systems and opportunities to enhance IT architecture and utilize reusable and/or repeatable technical solutions
- Optimize IT technology cost/value relationship through:
- Platform standardization
- Applications consolidation
- Infrastructure optimization
- Define or participate in the definition of IT standards related but not limited to:
- IT Application Development Methodologies & Tools
- Enterprise Platforms
- Application Management
- Integration Methodologies
- Storage Management
- Service Level Agreements
- Customized-Off-the-Shelf Solutions
- 10 years of direct business information systems deployment experience
- A high degree of knowledge of cutting edge technology, applications, and industry best practices is required
- A university, advanced degree, or business equivalent is required, preferably in an engineering or technical discipline
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Deep IT landscape expertise is necessary
- A high level of pharmaceutical industry knowledge is desired
- The ability to:
- Contribute to a climate of high performance, supportive encouragement, enthusiasm, integrity, reliability, and leadership
- Contribute to a highly responsive, customer focused culture within the GIS Enterprise Architecture & Standards group and across the GIS organization.
- Develop and maintain broad pharmaceutical and healthcare business knowledge and broad business analysis and strategic thinking skills within the IT Architecture & Standards group to provide GIS with effective solutions to critical business problems.
- Stay abreast of emerging architecture trends and required skills to ensure core architecture expertise is developed and maintained within GIS
- Embody the Vertex Core Values of Uncompromising Commitment to Patients, Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation is Our Lifeblood and We Wins
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
VERTEX is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals - 22 months ago
Vertex Pharmaceuticals aims to cure patients with previously incurable diseases. The biotechnology company uses an integrated,...