Under the general supervision of the Manager of Messaging Services for Client Group of America, the Senior Messaging Architect is responsible for complete end to end operations of enterprise messaging infrastructure for over 5000 clients across 3 group companies in the US and Canada. The solution is made up of Microsoft Exchange 2010 in a high availability design running on Windows Server 2008 R2 (virtualized on VMware ESX); and includes supporting systems for Email Encryption Gateway (TBD), backup (EMC Avamar), anti-spam (Mirapoint), mobile email (BES and MobileIron), and archiving and eDiscovery (EMC Source One).
The role works directly with a Messaging Engineer and Messaging Administrator; and alongside the Client Mobile and Unified Communications teams; maximizing people, process, and technology usage in order to provide the best service and computing environment to our IT end-users. The Senior Messaging Architect will be responsible for interfacing with the global support organization, providing tier 3 support, and problem resolution in messaging environment.
o Microsoft Exchange 2010
- Interfacing with the Global Support Organization and Network Operations Center in support of Exchange and mobile devices including Blackberry.
- Tier 3 support for Messaging and Exchange 2010 including *on call* duty
- Document standard work processes for Messaging, including procedures used by other operational teams
- Providing support and administration for SMTP gateways
- Work with the EOC to establish SCOM alerts and provide tier 3 support
- Identifying and transitioning operational activities to centralized operational teams
- Architect, Administer, and Manage the following systems:
o MS Windows Server 2008 R2
o EMC SourceOne
o Mirapoint SPAM gateways
o Email Encryption gateways
o Active Directory
o Active Directory GPO*s
- Security Patch testing
- Monitoring Exchange performance
- Mail Flow Troubleshooting
- Exchange configuration management
- Metrics gathering and reporting
- AD/GAL synchronization operations
- Filter administration
- Ensure reliable server backups and maintain written backup logs
- Develop, document, and perform approved maintenance plans
- Develop, document, and implement approved engineering efforts
- Develop and test step-by-step instructions for performing maintenance and upgrade tasks
- Research, test, document, and implement new products
- Perform scheduled weekend and after-hours work, as well as after-hours emergency work, as required, including participation in on-call rotation
- Handles the prioritization of team responsibilities
- Produces performance reports periodically and as necessary
- Participate in Disaster Recovery
- Handles escalations from customers, colleagues and vendors
- Responsible for the continuous improvement of all services and systems
- Ensures that all processes are well documented and process is being followed, and is auditable
- Participates in IT Audits and legal investigations
- Informs management of critical issues that may affect systems
- Interface with Client (CERT) Computer Emergency Response Team as needed to analyze and respond to CERT messages and mitigate risks as appropriate
- Participate in and lead projects affecting the end-user computing environment
- System uptime
- Incident MTTR
- Root Cause Analysis identification and Problem Mgmt ticket closure
- System performance
- Compliance with Client standards
Data Lifecycle Mgmt. - Data lifecycle management has become increasingly important as businesses face compliance issues in the wake of legislation, such as PCI, HIPAA and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, that regulates how organizations must deal with particular types of data. This position will champion information life cycle management as an organization-wide enterprise solution, involving procedures and practices as well as applications. This role will be responsible for identifying business and technical requirements from internal customers, IT Security, and Legal departments to develop and implement solutions to ensure that proper data lifecycle management practices are implemented in a way to reduce risk to Client Group of America.
- 8+ years of IT experience with a focus in troubleshooting and administrating email systems
- 4+ years of experience with MS Exchange Server in High Availability design
- A year of experience with MS Exchange Server 2010
- Expert knowledge of Windows Server 2008 Administration
- Expert knowledge of Active Directory and LDAP
- Working knowledge of BES, Exchange ActiveSync, and Mobile Iron
- Knowledge of Archiving and eDiscovery Solutions
- Knowledge of SPAM Solutions
- Strong handle on PowerShell
- MCSE desired
- Experience engineering/sizing, installing, configuring, and maintaining windows servers
- Ability to communicate well with team and customer, both written and verbally
- Experience with server performance tuning and monitoring tools
- Strong familiarity with TCP/IP protocol, ISA firewall management, and operating system configuration.
- General knowledge of storage technologies such as SAN
- Ability to assess performance data and determine system bottlenecks.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field of study is highly desired
- ITIL foundations training, certification desired
Data Lifecycle Mgmt. Key activities for this role will focus on:
The right candidate for this position must be able to:
- Administration, maintenance, and proactive health monitoring of electronic messaging records management system based on EMC SourceOne to ensure that email archive and retention conforms to established policies and supports the business legal requirements for eDiscovery and data lifecycle enforcement.
- Develop and implement data lifecycle management tools and processes to meet retention policy requirements for structured and un-structured content for the enterprise data stores including NAS based file systems and collaborative web platforms based on SharePoint/IIS and other web platforms used to provide data storage.
- Work with responsible teams to enforce data security practices as part of the data lifecycle management process including protection of electronic transmission of content to ensure access and lifecycle control. This will involve working with various data transmission platforms, including e-mail to provide content encryption via an e-mail encryption gateway and secure file transfer solutions.
- Develop integrated disaster recovery and business continuity plans to provide consistent data lifecycle management as part of the larger enterprise solution.
o Have a thorough understanding of data security and lifecycle management practices as needed to meet IT security and legal policies.
o Demonstrate an expert level understanding of IT systems used to store and provide access to enterprise data including e-mail, file sharing, and web technologies.
o Have a proven track record of working with business customers to translate functional needs into technology and process solutions.
o Operate as a self-motivated independent project manager able to identify and direct work to develop and execute activities to design and deploy complex cross-functional solutions.
o Strong understanding of related technologies and IT regulatory requirements
o 10+ years of experience in designing solutions for IT security and legal compliance along with experience in disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
Information Technology -
Capacity Mgmt * Very Strong
DNS Settings * Moderately Strong
Exchange 2010 - Expert
Exchange Active Sync - Expert
Group Policy * Expert
IIS * Very Strong
iSCSI * Very Strong
ITIL Foundations * Moderately Experience
Microsoft Windows * Expert
Office 2010 * Expert
Visio * Very Strong
Windows - Expert
Windows Server 2008 R2 * Expert
Exchange configuration management
Microsoft Exchange 2010
MS Windows Server 2008