We’re EA—the world’s largest video game publisher. You’re probably familiar with many of our titles—Madden, FIFA, The Sims, Need for Speed, Dead Space, Battlefield and Star Wars, to name a few. But maybe you don’t know how we’re committed to creating games for every platform—from social to mobile to console—to give our consumers that anytime, anywhere access they demand. What does that mean for you? It means more opportunities to unleash your creative genius, be inspired by those around you and ignite your path in any direction you choose.
The EA Central Development Services group is a critical partner of EA game development teams and a driver for quality and productivity within those teams.
Come and join us for an opportunity to work with the best game development teams in the world in a challenging yet fun and creative environment.
Innovate to keep EA at the leading edge of the industry standards for quality and processes to make a difference for thousands of employees and millions of gamers in the world.
We are looking for a Technical Director with a focus on development processes improvements leading the Maxis studios CDS Technical team to champion change, innovation and quality.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Strategy & Planning
• Provide strategic planning and direction in the area of integrating, testing, and releasing the tools and infrastructures for the Tools group
a. Lead the development of tools and release strategy
b. Drive innovation and manage opportunities
c. Be accountable for the technical proficiency of the tools team
d. Assist Game Testing owners to understand the technology requirements of their product and plan for service and strategies
Implementation & Deployment
• Conduct code reviews, and establish a robust quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
• Review and approve proposed development releases and oversee the release process for tools products.
• Monitor tools usage, performance and resolve any failures.
• Provide consulting to game teams and central technology providers on strategies at the component, sub-system, system level and services.
• Provide technical oversight and direction to the embedded and distributed tools development teams responsible for developing and supporting products.
• Oversee internal and external project dependencies, risks and critical paths; ensure contingency plan is in place; recommend solutions and approve plan & timelines; understand overall impact on all stakeholders.
• Drive solutions deployment and collect customer feedback.
• Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
• Ensure that internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with expectations.
• Promote achievement of the tools team business goals and develop policies for sharing software code, technological innovation and business processes, and other intellectual property.
• Help create a strong and coherent technical community by developing excellent relationships with technical peers in game development teams and other groups throughout EA studios.
• Participate in recruitment, training & coaching of engineers to enhance individual effectiveness and professional growth.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or Software Engineering or equivalent
• A minimum of 6 years software industry technical experience working on tools, test automation and/or development process improvements.
• 4+ years experience working with databases and good knowledge of SQL. MySQL or Oracle experience preferred.
• Solid experience with Test Driven Development is required; be able to explain where you have used TDD before on projects.
• Excellent organizational communication and management skills with a strong desire to contribute to a unique creative environment by utilizing world-wide talent.
• Project management skills demonstrated by the ability to define tasks in a well organized manner, based on proper resource and time management.
• Training and presentation skills
• Experience with Video Game development a plus
• Knowledge of performance and code optimizations techniques
• Experience using configuration management and software management suites and tools
• Performance Competencies (Non-Technical Skills)
• Passion for the entertainment industry and distributed development.
• Excellent communication skills, including verbal, face-to-face, written and presentation.
• Excellent detail-oriented, problem solving skills
• Experience of customer service
• Able to quickly assess situations, troubleshoot complex problems and keep a calm head under tight time constraints and high pressure.
• Self-starter and ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions with little supervision.
• Ability to review, evaluate and qualify technical skills
• Ability to mentor, coach and develop technical staff
• Ability to travel
It’s not easy building the world’s best digital playground. It’s hair-standing-on-end exhilarating. It’s down-in-the-trenches challenging. It’s stroke-of-brilliance-at-midnight creative. It’s you—taking risks, challenging yourself, pursuing ideas, changing the way millions of people do something they love: play. In an industry that’s changing every day, EA is positioned for growth thanks to smart business plans, strategic acquisitions, and most importantly, our creative people around the world who gather each day to unite the world through play. We take that last part very seriously, so if what you’re reading excites you as much as it does us, apply today
Electronic Arts - 17 months ago
To armchair quarterbacks and couch-potato commandos, Electronic Arts (EA) is their Picasso. EA is a top-three global video game publisher...