Studio Technical Director – Atlanta Office
Gensler is one of the world’s leading architecture, design and planning firms, with staff in 43 locations around the world. Our work reflects an enduring commitment to sustainability and the belief that design is one of the most powerful strategic tools for securing a lasting competitive advantage. The Gensler Atlanta Lifestyle Studio is currently seeking a Technical Director with deep architectural experience in retail store design.
- Improve the quality of our deliverables and reduce risk
- Improve the efficiency of our document production effort
- Enhance design through strong technical support
- Establish a leadership position and role model for technically oriented staff
A leader who leads by example and is:
- A Registered Architect
- A working knowledge of Building Codes (as required for the jurisdictions in which their office is performing work)
- A strong design sensibility which leads to the enhancement of design through the technical innovation and processes
- A strong management sensibility to allow for efficient and systematic incorporation of the Quality Assurance program into the project process
- Strong technical skills and experience in Construction Document (Drawing & Specification) Preparation
- Strong experience in Construction Administration
- Retail experience preferred
An outgoing individual:
- Tough but fair
- Humble and willing to admit fault
- Capable of learning from both directions
- Positive, enthusiastic and inspiring to others
- Self-motivated and pro-active
- Able to understand the Big Picture and the smaller details
An educator capable of:
- Good listening, communication, time management and, leadership skills
- Capable of inserting oversight and guidance when needed despite push back
- Capable of developing organizational and tactical strategies and following through on implementation
A resource with a strong knowledge of:
- Investing personal time to mentor junior technical staff
- Being a role model, who emphasizes that action and behavior are more important than position and status
- Gensler culture
- Gensler Vision 20/20
- Gensler best practices, standards and guidelines
- Gensler resources (Design + Delivery, Practice Area, Offices, Global Accounts)
- Industry standards & resources
Forge a relationship with the Studio Director, the Studio Design Director and, and the Studio PM Leader along with their counterparts. The Studio Technical Director will also be responsible for guidance, maturation and development of Studio members, as well as the proper deployment of staff to ensure the make-up of each project team suits each individual project's specific needs and requirements.
Lead technical resource for the Studio. Have working knowledge of all projects within the studio. The level of involvement is to correspond to each project’s specific need and team make-up. Oversee the Quality Assurance Review Process for all projects within the Studio. This oversight shall ensure that QA Review Checklists are being reviewed at the onset of projects and that they are being properly used as project guideline tools; ensure that QA Reviews are taking place in a timely manner with respect to project schedules; that QA Review Checklists are being properly completed for review by the Architect of Record; and that the tracking of QA Review process for all projects in their respective Studio is being properly documented.
The Studio Technical Director will be responsible for providing mentorship to the staff in their respective studio. As well, it is important for Studio Technical Director to identify specific studio members who express a desire to pursue a career path with a focus on technical responsibilities so, that we can work closely with them to develop their Technical Leadership skills.
Attend and become an active contributor to the weekly Technical Directors meetings and bringing concerns/issues to the meetings for discussion, as well as, transmitting and promoting information and decisions discussed at the meetings back to their respective studios. Involvement in development of Office Wide Education and Talent Development programs to ensure that proper attention is given to the integration and addressing the technical issues for all curriculums.
Regional/Firm Wide Responsibilities:
The Studio Technical Director shall be aware of their counterparts in other offices across the Region and Firm, in order to be able to leverage them for assistance with projects located within other jurisdictions and as importantly to be a resource for project teams in other offices. Establish a working knowledge of the activities of the Global Technical Leaders and its sub-committees and look to become involved as well as contribute to at least one of these groups.
The Studio Technical Director at Gensler plays an extremely important role in the delivery of design. It is important that these leaders are well versed in the Gensler design culture, Gensler CAD/Revit platforms, Gensler specifications, Gensler production & construction administration standards, and the Gensler contracts & project management standards. It is a very demanding role where success is created by the efforts of a highly motivated and unique individual.
For consideration, please submit resume and relevant work samples. Submittals must include work samples for full consideration.
Gensler is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Gensler - 12 months ago
One of a handful of "pure design" firms, M. Arthur Gensler Jr. & Associates (Gensler) consistently ranks among the largest...