The Technical Director (TD) implements and manages all technical elements and aesthetic concepts in regards to scenic, sound and lighting designs for all Theatre Department productions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages production and departmental planning/scheduling, research, analysis, labor supervision, drafting and budgeting.
- Supervision of set/light/sound designers, set graduate assistants, workstudy and non-workstudy students, scenic carpenter, master electrician, scenic painter, production practicum students, production running crews.
- Manages scenery construction (carpentry, rigging, welding, electrical wiring), stage lighting hang/focus/strike, audio engineering, theatre safety, special effects implementation.
- Provides technical theatre instruction/mentoring.
- Oversees technical rehearsals.
- Responsible for Theatre maintenance.
- Perform additional duties and help with special projects as assigned.
Minimum Work Experience:
- MFA preferred with concentration of degree in technical direction and/or equivalent professional experience.
Specific Job Knowledge:
- 3 years of experience in technical theatre direction.
- Technical theatre computer software- Vectorworks (design software), Logic, Qlab and Maudio (audio engineering software), ETC express (lightboard software), Mac/os (audio playback and design).
- Audio engineering (live sound mixing, sound playback, sound wiring, amp maintenance).
- Budgeting and forecasting (Microsoft office).
- Carpentry and construction practices.
- Welding and metal working.
- Stage Rigging.
- Set/ Sound/Light design principles and applications.
- Structural and electrical engineering principles.
- Video Projections.
- Stage automation.
- Hazardous materials.
- Shop and ladder safety.
- Theatre maintenance.
- Building and fire safety.
Project planning and management
- Labor and time management.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Diagnostic, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Collaboration and coordination.
- Verbal and written communication.
- Set design and construction.
- Light and sound design and maintenance.
- Electrical wiring.
- Play analysis.
- Instruction and mentoring.
- Ability to improvise in a changing environment.
- Scenic painting.
- Theatrical computer software: Vectorworks, Logic,Qlab, Maudio, Microsoft Office, ETC Express, Mac/os.
- Hand and power tools and machinery for cutting and shaping wood, plastic and metal.
- Mig and Arc welding equipment.
- Audio reproduction and live sound equipment.
- Stage lighting instruments.
- Special effects equipment.
- Stage lifts, wagons, automation and revolves.
- Stage rigging systems.
- Ladders and scaffolding.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Hand and power tools for cutting and shaping wood, plastic and metal, specific technical theatre related computer software, ladders, scaffolding.
- Chemicals (paint thinners, paint strippers, paint sealers, Bondo, wood fillers, fiberglass compounds, spray paint, glues, epoxy) Construction dust (wood, metal, plastic, homasote), Noise (power tools), Air quality (poor ventilation), Weather exposure (outdoor construction), Heights (high ladder and scaffolding work), close quarters/tight spaces (stage trap clearance is about 18"), Mold (use of water and dirt/grass on stage)
- Lifting (50-100 lbs), Pushing/pulling (scenery construction/installation, unloading of trucks, moving construction material), Standing for extended periods of time (scenery construction/installation), Manual dexterity (scenery construction/installation), High heights (ladder and scaffolding work), close quarters/tight spaces (stage trap clearance is about 18")
Special Message to Applicants:
Open Until Filled
Salary Posting Information:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you first hear of this employment opportunity?
- Career Builder Website
- Higheredjobs.com Website
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Career Link Website
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Advertisement in Local Newspaper
- Advertisement in Academic or Professional Publication
- Referred by a current or former employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Browsing the Villanova website
Cover Letter / Letter of Interest
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Villanova University - 15 months ago