Proofpoint is seeking a proactive, experienced individual to join the Professional Services team. This highly visible position requires someone who is organized and maintains a strong sense of ownership of assigned customer projects. The Technical Engagement Manager will not only build and track project work breakdowns and action items, but also be engaged as an active participant in project work including technical implementation tasks and development of specifications and documentation. Note that this is an individual contributor role with no direct reports. The ideal candidate has a background in both project management and Professional Services consulting and implementation of enterprise networking or security products.
- Engage with new and existing enterprise customers in a project management capacity, working with the project team and technical staff at both Proofpoint and customer to drive projects to completion.
- Work with subject matter experts and leverage your own technical knowledge and product experience to build project schedules, work breakdowns, dependencies and task lists. Track and manage project tasks, budget and resources throughout the project lifecycle.
- Coordinate and facilitate regularly scheduled planning and review meetings.
- Ensure plans are aligned with resources, company objectives, and technical standards.
- Ensure plan objectives and milestones are clearly defined and attainable.
- Provide detailed weekly status reports.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, including sales, support, engineering, and product management, to ensure successful completion of customer engagements.
- Serve as the customer advocate to Proofpoint departments during the engagement process.
- Manage customer escalations as necessary and assigned, driving issues to resolution.
- Provide mentoring and leadership to the Professional Services team as well as the larger sales and support organizations.
- Collaborate with Professional Services managers and other departments in building Professional Services engagement management best practices.
- 4-year college degree in a technical degree or equivalent
- 5 years overall industry experience in a customer-facing Professional Services role
- 2 - 3 years industry experience in a Project or Program Management role
- Industry-recognized Project Management certification, such as PMP or CAPM
- Strong project and program management skills and high attention to detail
- Solid understanding of project management methodologies
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong technical background in enterprise applications, software, and services
- Working knowledge of Internet protocols (HTTP, SMTP, etc.), networking topology, TCP/IP protocol, network configuration and components (firewalls, routers, etc.)
- Ability to understand complex technical discussions and translate them into defined tasks
- Attention to detail, but with an ability to understand the big picture view and understand when projects have conflicting objectives
- Approachable demeanor, the ability to build trust with team members
- Strong leadership skills and proven ability to complete enterprise-level projects on time, in scope, and within budget
- Able to impact at all levels of the organization
- Ability to think strategically and deliver tactically
- Resourceful and innovative at tackling complex challenges in a timely matter.
- Exceptional ability to build relationships and enhance cooperative working relationships
- Adept at conflict resolution and negotiation; this job entails working with a variety of people and personalities.
- Ability to travel 25% of the time.