A TME is a multi talented, master of many trades. S/he needs to understand the technology that underpins Big Switch Networks products
and communicate the value effectively. You will be a Technical Marketing Engineer for the Open SDN and have responsibility as a technical evangelist and marketing specialist. You'll be the anchor person and a bridge between an extremely strong and experienced product management and marketing team. The BSN TME must know the "how" but start with the "why." You must arm the sales force with the tools required to win in a fast moving and highly competitive market.(←This is the main thing.)
The position requires strong partnering and problem solving skills and strong written and verbal communication skills. If you don't want to write, then this job is not for you.(←Read this twice, please)
A BSN TME's primary duties involved arming systems engineers and the sales force with tools that help them win and helping product marketing to produce tools as well. TMEs must be able to tell a complete story AND WRITE IT DOWN. The TME must produce technical evaluation guides, engage in product reviews with technical press, and author technical white papers, create solution design guides and deployment guides in collaboration with ecosystem partners, and deliver competitive briefs.
At Big Switch, TMEs are focused outbound, but anybody with a good idea can influence the product here. It's a meritocracy. In addition to providing tools for the team, TMEs need to engage in the public SDN conversation. This may include describing sample code that communicates with APIs on BSN's Open SDN platform in technical blog posts. A BSN TME will also need to manage the internal marketing lab and support demo deployments within the lab and at trade shows. We may even ask you to wear a headset and talk at shows or on webinars. You'll also work closely with technical writers to provide input for and review of the product documentation set.
The role requires an individual with strong technical skills coupled with the ability to understand of customer needs. The technical marketing engineer will be involved in defining how to solve customer problems the Open SDN architecture. It will require strong partnering and problem solving skills and strong written and verbal communication skills.
Things you'll need to deliver as a BSN TME:
- Open SDN technical reference architectures and solution guides for BSN Products and for ecosystem solutions
- Sample code and usage for the Open SDN API
- Technical sales tools and best practices
- Written technical analysis of competing solutions
- Technical field enablement, including ad hoc assistance and tools for the team.
The profile of a BSN TME:
- 5-8 years of experience in technical marketing in the datacenter, network security, or networking industry
- BS in Computer Science or related technical degree or other degree with significant experience in a directly related field.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication/presentation skills
- You gotta get along with folks and influence decisions at all levels and in various functions. Positive mental attitude required.
- You gotta be more than clueful about technology. The TME unicorn knows Linux, a couple programming languages (C, Java, Python), things hypervisor (Xen, KVM, OpenStack, VMWare) and things networking (CCIE, maybe?)
- You gotta have a high do: say ratio and produce content 24/7
- Unhealthy need to win every opportunity and see the competition go bankrupt a plus.