This role is critical to the success of Sequent and requires both depth and breadth in most technologies leveraged in a complex data center environment. Duties include the many and varied responsibilities required of an engineer within a growing company.
The role requires a talented person with a strong work ethic to work within a small, high-end team. It is a great career opportunity for a highly motivated individual who wants to extend and utilize his or her solid and broad skills.
- Primary focus is making it simpler to provide instances of the company’s products and services by using software development and open source solutions to automate the many tasks required to enable and manage our offerings
- Requires deep understanding of Linux server administration, networking, and key applications and services running on virtualized and non-virtualized platforms
- Provide oversight of a number of Hosted Linux systems, databases, and network troubleshooting
- Responsible for solving complex technical problems, creating and improving procedures, and facilitating communication
- Research, proof, and author technical documentation that is beneficial to the company
The successful candidate must have a solid background in Linux-based virtualization and those solutions typically leveraged in a multi-tiered application. A solid understanding of the components required to provide a redundant networking environment is required.
- BCS degree or Equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience in a 24x7 high-availability production environment
- 7+ years Linux System Administration in a complex data center environment
- 3+ years performing software development using key technologies such a Java, Perl, Python, PHP etc.
- Experience with open source relational and non-SQL database technologies
- A background in automating the management of a data center environment
- In depth understanding of TCP/IP LAN/WAN networking technologies and trouble shooting techniques
- Application Server Expertise – Apache, Tomcat, JBoss
- Software packing and installation technologies
- Network services – NTP, DNS, SMTP
- Experience with IP routing protocols
- Experience with kick start, chef, puppet
- Experience with hardware or software based load balancers
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as KVM
- Experience with hardware and software firewalls
- Experience with intrusion detection systems and network and server security concepts
- Experience in monitoring, metrics collection, and reporting using open source tools.
- Excellent organizational skills, and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, making decisions based upon priorities, schedules and an understanding of business initiatives.
- Have been developing and supporting high availability live sites and know what it takes to keep them running and maintainable.
- Critical attention to detail, thoroughness and documentation
- Providing rotational on call support
Work Location: Sequent HQ / Redwood City, CA
- Industry certifications, preferably RHCE, CCNA and CCNP
- Software Development certification
Travel: Very limited travel may be required
Founded in 2010 and headquartered in Redwood City, California, Sequent Software is a leading provider of Near Field Communication (NFC)...