Birchbox (http://birchbox.com) is seeking a technical product manager to manage our behavior-based email programs. As the email product manager, you°ll be responsible for developing the product vision and strategy of our email programs and managing the entire product life cycle. You°ll work closely with the design, development, marketing and data science teams on a day-to-day basis to deliver highly relevant, personalized emails to Birchbox customers that look great regardless of email client or device. |
The ideal candidate has exceptional analytical skills, is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and has a proven track record for successfully leading product development of world-class email products in a consumer oriented, ecommerce company. This position reports to the Director of Product Management.
- Lead the product strategy for the behavior-based email team at Birchbox.
- Develop the product roadmap, user stories, scenarios, and product backlog for our behavior-based email program by conducting user research and engaging with stakeholders.
- Drive product development through the entire development cycle from conceptualization, design, and development through to launch and ongoing support in a fast-paced agile environment.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research to identify opportunities to optimize existing features and design new ones.
- Prioritize day-to-day tasks and deliver projects on schedule.
- Engage with product managers across Birchbox to ensure email priorities are aligned.
- Manage functional QA processes and determine appropriate testing opportunities.
- Manage relationship with 3rd party providers to monitor and maintain high deliverability rates.
- 7+ years experience with product management. 1-2 years in the email-space.
- Deep, holistic understanding of the email user experience - on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills, and a proven ability to drive complex projects with minimal oversight.
- A strong understanding of current technologies and standards, and how the email ecosystem is evolving
- Basic technical skills:
- Command Line: you know your way around in linux and the mac terminal.
- Version Control: you have used git, svn, or another version control system before. You don°t have to be an expert, but you know the basics.
- Databases: you can write basic SQL queries to find the information you need.
- You know enough HTML and CSS to be dangerous.
- Exceptional communication skills and social awareness.
- Results-oriented and self-motivated with the ability to take charge or play a supporting role.
- Demonstrated ability to collect user feedback and understand customer pain points.
- Enthusiasm for working in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Experience creating simple and intuitive user interface wire frames and mock ups.
- Experience and passion for working in an agile environment.
Tech @ Birchbox
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science.
- Ecommerce experience preferably in email or marketing.
- Startup experience.
The technology team at Birchbox is responsible for development (and maintenance) of the company°s customer-facing sites (in the United States, France, the UK, and Spain), managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 140+ person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source technologies: Debian-based servers; Chef deployments; Ruby on Rails, Java and PHP services; and Python, Perl and R scripts. The size of our team and the breadth of its responsibilities means we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return our engineers are given leeway to use their own initiative.
Our team spans software engineering, technical operations, product, and data science. Our challenges include:
evolving our software and systems architecture to support a rapidly growing customer base across multiple countries and languages;
designing and implementing the best user experience for our customers; We are striving to revolutionize online retail.
using data, complex algorithms, and statistics, to personalize the Birchbox experience for our customers, both offline and online.
Why it°s great to work at Birchbox
The uncommon chance to be at the start of something huge. We dream big. We run fast. We love a challenge.The chance to build a fresh infrastructure to express better solutions to old and new problems.The opportunity to work on conceiving, designing and building a next-generation ecommerce experience.We think Espresso, Cake, Cookies, Chocolate, and Cambodian Sandwiches are food groups. Which is part of the reason why we also believe in working out in the office. Push-ups anyone?We love our work, our team, and our customers.
Birchbox is changing the way consumers discover and purchase grooming, beauty, and lifestyle products. We combine a monthly subscription service with original editorial content and a fully integrated e-commerce shop. Every month, members sample high-end products targeted to fit their personal profile and behavior, learn about them through our content, and purchase full-size versions of the products they like. Our platform provides our brand partners with an innovative and efficient way to access new customers.
Birchbox launched in the Fall of 2010 and is one of the fastest growing companies in New York. We are backed by top VC firms, including Accel Partners and First Round Capital. In September 2012, Birchbox expanded internationally with the acquisition of the Paris based discovery service JolieBox, operating in France, the UK, and Spain. You can get a feel for the buzz about Birchbox, by searching for us on YouTube: http://birch.ly/nl6nVp. For traditional media coverage, checkout our press page: http://www.birchbox.com/press.
Birchbox has offices in New York, Paris, London and Barcelona.
Birchbox - 21 months ago