The Technical Product Manager (TPM) is the primary operational owner of one or more customer-facing applications. The position manages the definition of product requirements based on market needs and the communication / prioritization of feature requests to the development team. The TPM works closely with key customers, project managers, software architects, marketing, and sales. The TPM will develop and manage the new product release processes and upgrades to customers.
The TPM maintains the product road map, creates concept documents, business and use cases for new services, identifies features/functions to support customer needs, establishes and manages profitability targets, and will identify growth strategies.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
Serve as primary product expert and advocate.
Lead product design and release process for one or more customer-facing applications and maintain the product development road map.
Create and maintain the product vision.
Coordinate the collection, description, analysis and prioritization of requests for new product functionality from customers and prospects.
Create detailed use cases, business requirements, and marketing requirements.
Support marketing and sales through leading the development and maintenance of various technical marketing collateral including application notes, FAQs, product notes, user guides, field training presentations, online marketing content and demos.
Develop hands-on, in-depth knowledge of competitive products and maintain technical analysis of competitive strengths and weaknesses.
Coordinate beta testing of new products and features. Document and report problems and recommend solutions/improvements to project managers. Participate in product performance benchmarking activities.
Evaluate, prioritize and negotiate feature/schedule/cost tradeoffs as product definitions are finalized.
Interface with customers, partners and development team to align the product roadmap and manage product update releases.
Work with external third parties to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities.
Perform product demonstrations at trade shows, online seminars, and other events.
Document answers to customer technical questions that cannot be answered by sales staff or product support specialists using existing documentation.
Work with Finance to plan forecasts, objectives and sales commitments to drive achievable results.
- BA/BS required (degree in technical field preferred); MS preferred.
- 3-5 years of product management or technical development lead experience for a software or publishing company.v
- 2+ years of experience designing software applications on products including hands-on creation of user stories, UI Wireframes, business requirements and technical specifications.
- Must have experience with cross-functional teams that include software development, sales, and marketing staff.
- Strong publishing background is preferred.
- Problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively interface with customers.
- Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with executive management.
The Sheridan Group
- 3 years ago - save job