Provide descriptive cataloging, subject cataloging, classification, authority control, and bibliographic control of all materials in the library collections;
Prepare bibliographic records or metadata to represent the resources in the collections including description, subject analysis, access to information, authority control, metadata application, quality control, and metadata-related decision making;
Cataloging and classification shall be performed in accordance with established library policies using the latest editions of: Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR), Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) Input Standards and OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards, National Library of Medicine (NLM) and Library of Congress (LC) classification schedules and subject headings;
Evaluate solutions and recommend best practices to resolve issues, maintain data integrity, and expand access to library collections;
Participate in and recommend solutions and best practices for retrospective conversion projects;
Identify and resolve integrated library system and database maintenance problems;
Ability to create effective original cataloging records and authority files where little or no precedent cataloging exists;
Provide guidance and recommendations for data policy and quality control;
Establish bibliographic controls and maintain authority file;
Serve as Cataloging and Metadata Librarian and subject specialist for public health and occupational safety and health materials.
LAC Group is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values diversity in the workforce.
- A Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science (MLS/MLIS) from an ALA accredited University is required;
- Five years of experience performing cataloging using MeSH and NLM subject classification in a health sciences research library or biomedical research library environment;
- Knowledge of standard library practices, precedents and techniques;
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of the theory and technique of librarianship as applied to descriptive and subject cataloging of library materials including cataloging rules and guidelines;
- Knowledge of the use and application of cataloging tools, standards, classification schedules, expansion tables, and subject headings, including the National Library of Medicine Classification, Library of Congress Classification, Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), Library of Congress subject headings, MARC and non-MARC systems;
- Have an understanding and the ability to define and analyze bibliographic relationships and applying bibliographic maintenance, data cleanup and/or correction procedures in the integrated library system (ILS), which is Voyager;
- Assist in collection development, identifying new books and resources within scope for possible addition to the collection verification of electronic links;
- Work with the serials librarian and other catalogers to make sure all electronic resources are reflected in the online catalog;
- Review donations received by the Library for possible addition to the collection;
- Training of staff and cataloguers as needed.
LAC Group is a premier provider of recruiting and consultancy services for information professionals at U.S. and global organizations including Fortune 100 companies, law firms, pharmaceutical companies, large academic institutions and prominent government agencies.