The Technical Specialist will collaborate with other research professionals and assist in the execution of technical projects in the area of polyolefin and higher-value add films development, evaluate research results and provide recommendations.
• Participate in the development next-generation film-based products by supporting internal and external extrusion trials on pilot and production scale equipment, following testing protocols to measure the film performance against customer requirements in conjunction with our testing facilities and helping to manage the necessary logisitics.
• Follow competitive and industry intelligence to identify potential competitive threats and track key trends in films and process technologies. Help validate a differentiated value proposition for new film developments by comparing competitive film-based products and technologies.
• Conduct patent analysis, searches and mapping with patent attorney to evaluate freedom to practice and potential white spaces for intellectual property. Assist in writing effective invention disclosures that lead to intellectual property for the corporation to protect research and development investments.
• Work closely with Principal Engineers to help translate film and extrusion process platforms into next-generation film-based products. Collaborate with business divisions and other Center-of-Excellence team members to execute projects. Provide technical consulting to business divisions and customers as needed.
Other Desired Responsibilities
• Leverage design of experiment techniques to plan and perform testing and process trials on laboratory, pilot and production-scale equipment. Use statistical methods, scientific and engineering principles and computer modeling to analyze and interpret experimental data and help make data-based technical decisions.
• Develop broad industry knowledge of component materials, films and products by developing technical skills at conferences/trade shows, working with business units and customers to understand needs and maintaining contacts with industry suppliers to grow external network.
• MS or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science, Polymer Chemistry or equivalent.
• 3-5 years experience in polymer films development, polymer processing industries, including films R&D and oriented polymer films, or related fields.
• Working knowledge in relevant fundamental science and engineering disciplines (polymer material science, rheology, fluid mechanics, heat and mass transfer, engineering mechanics).
• Familiar with and able to select appropriate material and film characterization analysis, using techniques such as rheology, thermal analysis, physical testing related to films.
Other Desired Requirements
• Strong working knowledge and practice using statistical analysis methods, experimental design and applied statistics using Minitab. Experience applying Design for Lean Six-Sigma and Project Management systems such as MS Project.
• Highly motivated, able to work independently as well as in a team. Takes initiative and exhibits high energy. Well organized, attentive to detail and accuracy. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to manage multiple projects in parallel. Excellent interpersonal skills to work with internal and external customers, suppliers, etc.
• Development work may be performed at state-of-the-art pilot facilities located in Mentor, OH area as well as with suppliers, customers and end-users globally. Some travel may be required to maintain working relations with external sources of innovation and the business divisions.
Physical Work Location:
When applying to this position, please use Internet Explorer.
AVERY DENNISON IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER
Avery Dennison Corporation - 14 months ago
Avery Dennison is easy to label: It's a global leader in the making of adhesive labels used on packaging, mailers, and other items....