Are you looking to be challenged and to gain real-world experience? Do you perk up in your seat at the thought of processing more than 20 terabytes of data per day and more than 600,000 ad requests per second? Do you want to solve unique, large-scale technical challenges? Are you interested in developing technology that will continue to shake up the ad tech industry?
If so, then AppNexus is the place for you! We are looking for summer interns to play a key part in our daily innovation. You can help build the next generation of cloud technology behind AppNexus' products, create online advertising solutions that help our clients reach millions of users, and be a part of a dynamic company that continues to revolutionize the ad tech industry. Your code, strategies, and fresh ideas will have a direct impact on our bottom line. If this sounds like your kind of thing, we want to hear from you!
Where you fit in:
We’re looking technical interns with solid computer science fundamentals to join our UI, Data, Optimization, API & Ad Serving teams this summer. Ideal candidates will be hands-on and proactive when designing applications, good at finding simple solutions to complex problems, and comfortable coding off of a problem statement instead of a formal spec. Depending on your area of expertise, you will be considered to work in any of the teams list below:
AdServer: Our ad server software engineers work on our state-of-the-art ad serving platform. Our extremely successful platform is very large-scale, globally distributed across 4 data centers, service oriented, and event driven. We handle hundreds of billions of ad serving requests per month, and respond with very strict latency requirements. In addition, we transport over 20 terabytes of data daily (and growing!), to generate some very sophisticated analytics/optimization that drive decisions behind the ad serving process.
Data: The AppNexus Data Pipeline processes nearly 30 billion log records a day ( > 20TB of data) generated by our real-time bidding engines and ad serving platform. We use this data to create aggregated analytics reports, update budgets, and drive optimization engines. Our team works with cutting edge technology on large-scale engineering challenges, both in terms of the amount of data and the processes involved.
Optimization: Buyers and sellers connect on the AppNexus platform billions of times each day. The charter of the optimization engineering team is to build the systems that will maximize the revenue generated by those transactions for all parties involved and to do so in a scalable way. The optimization engineering team is part of a larger group including Quants and Analysts developing industry-leading algorithms for ad transaction optimization.
Web Services: Our software engineers develop RESTful APIs that facilitate the buying and selling of online advertising. AppNexus clients trade nearly 10 billion ads per day through our real-time transactional platform, a distributed system built on top of the AppNexus computing cloud that responds in a few milliseconds to each request with 99.99% uptime. Our environment is open, collaborative, and encourages learning. We release new code at least once a week (as continuous deployment actually increases reliability), so our engineers are fast and accurate with their code and confident in their work.
What we look for:
1. You want to contribute a growing startup - this means an organization with a flat hierarchy where you can communicate freely and openly.
2. You have strong development and technology fundamentals. While we do not expect you to be an expert in our technology stack, you should be able to apply what you’ve learned in school to pick up new technologies quickly.
3. You can communicate in a clear and concise manner. Like our full-time employees, our interns are collaborative, energetic and able to communicate effectively to solve problems.
4. You are "smart and gets things done" (and can name the guy who coined that phrase). You can work independently and reliably.
5. You are a rising junior or senior enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree program or a current Masters student who will be returning to school in the fall of 2013.
What we can offer you:
1. Compensation – We are offering a 12 week paid summer internship with a competitive salary and plenty of intangible benefits. Our kitchen is stocked 24/7, we have weekly catered meals, and you’ll have the opportunity to work with and learn from extremely bright and motivated individuals.
2. Mentorship – You will be provided with mentors both on and off of your team who will work closely with you every step of the way. They’ll be there to answer any of your questions, make sure you meet folks across the company, and help you understand the AppNexus Universe.
3. Events – Our internship program is full of educational and social events throughout the summer. You’ll have the opportunity to sit down with each of our executives for lunch, go bowling with your mentor and go rock climbing with your fellow interns. Not to mention, AppNexus celebrates its birthday every summer and hosts an annual family bbq.
4. Performance Management – We want to make sure that you are successful at AppNexus so we will provide real-time feedback throughout the entire summer. Our goal is to make you an offer to join us full time and we will manage your performance the whole way through.