The Technical Support Specialist reports to the Technical Services Manager. This individual is responsible for taking help desk calls from faculty and staff members and students, for maintaining accurate inventory control and implementing inventory policies and procedures. In addition, this individual will work with other areas of the IT Department to troubleshoot and resolve technical support issues as they arise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The overall responsibilities of this role include desktop and laptop computer troubleshooting and repair, printer maintenance and repair, inventory assessments and maintenance, and assistance with management of helpdesk calls.
The job responsibilities will be further constructed into four major categories to insure structured development and evaluation of accomplishments. These four categories and relevant responsibilities are listed below and utilized to build a foundation for future assignments.
- Troubleshoot, service, maintain, and repair computers, peripherals, and other electronic equipment for faculty, staff, and students.
- Inventory, install and configure personal computer hardware and software, and deploy images onto desktops and laptops.
- Diagnose system failures and isolate faulty parts; repair or replace parts as needed.
- Continued development of technical skills and certifications for both hardware and software.
- Perform installation, configuration, and inventory of new equipment as it arrives and prepare for deployment to our end user community.
- Maintain accurate input, tracking, and closing of assigned helpdesk calls within the University ticket tracking system.
- Establish and maintain accurate inventory of all hardware, software, and peripheral equipment owned and serviced by the University.
- As necessary, assist and support in our laptop service area with signing in student laptop computers for repair and filling out student service request forms.
- Generate monthly service call reports through the University ticket tracking system (Service Desk Express).
- Maintain and complete proper warranty repair information for all University owned equipment and document in the University tracking system.
- Maintain daily recording and updates of assigned Helpdesk tickets.
- Maintain accurate inventory and warranty information for equipment and repairs.
- Manage tasks and other project assignments as allocated.
- Establish organized work areas and properly maintain equipment.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep manager and other members of the IT department informed of issues, concerns, outages, and repairs in a timely manner.
- Share information gathered through conference attendance, training, and R&D with manager and other IT staff members.
- Participate in development of process to distribute relative technical information to the general community. Assist with the validation of all information issued for public release.
- Work with all members of the IT Department to continuously improve communications tools and processes.
- Follow up communications with faculty, staff, and students in order to close out service calls and confirm necessary repairs are completed.
- Works closely with all Information Technology staff to ensure consistent and effective service.
- Keeps abreast of all developments that will affect the function of the help desk and inventory process.
- Makes suggestions as to methods of improving productivity and increase efficiencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Information System Science, or related field or equivalent working knowledge and a minimum of two years work experience in a support position are required. Ability to work effectively with end user community and outside consultants is essential. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills are required. Ability to work effectively as a team member or as an independent contributor is also essential.
Preferred certifications include A+, HP or other hardware provider certifications, utilization of Microsoft diagnostic tools, and hands-on experience with various areas of hardware repair. Additionally, this candidate should have the following skills:
- Knowledge of current operating systems such as Microsoft Windows and Mac O/Sx, and other mobile device operating systems.
- Knowledge of current Microsoft Office versions.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures of operating computers and peripheral equipment
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including: health and dental coverage, life insurance, long-term disability, 403B plan, tuition benefits and more.
Salve Regina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Candidates must apply on-line only at http://www.salve.edu/offices/hr/employment.cfm
Salve Regina University - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard