This position exists to ensure that required documentation, including but not limited to software user documentation, policy, process and procedure documentation, Knowledgebase articles and other client and staff communications is generated in a timely and professional manner. The Technical Writer I will work closely with the CHR University team, software developers, and subject matter experts on the creation of assigned technical writings. This position can be located out of either our Sioux Falls, SD or Mitchell, SD office locations.
Analyze, compile, and develop technical documents and training materials for assigned software products, policies, processes and procedures.
Ensure new and existing technical documents are completed in accordance with established documentation procedures and standards.
Collaborate with project managers, subject matter experts, software developers, and the Publishing Department to collect and interpret information and materials in the creation of assigned documents.
Create, assimilate, and convey technical material in a concise and effective manner.
Generate and maintain online help files to be included in software products.
Utilize standard documentation methods to effectively communicate product concepts and use.
Individualize/Customize technical documents and training manuals as appropriate for each project.
Organize and lead technical documentation meetings.
Create and maintain files for efficient accessibility of assigned projects.
Perform audits and reviews of technical documents and manuals and update as necessary.
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Technical Communications/Writing, Management Information Systems, Information Systems, or related field preferred
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written), including proofreading, grammar and editing, are required
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of Adobe Acrobat is preferred
- Experience in HTML, Photoshop, online help applications, (e.g. RoboHelp, Flare) and eLearning applications (e.g., Camtasia, Articulate, Captivate) is desired
- Strong project management skills, organizational skills, problem solving skills, customer service and interpersonal skills is preferred
- Ability to work independently and work within a team environment
- Understanding of programming and database concepts and terms is preferred
- 3 - 5 years' experience in creating and maintaining business and technical documents including but not limited to software documentation, user guides, process charts and procedures
- 3 - 5 years' experience in general business environment