This is an entry-mid level technical writer position on the Business Systems Unit team within the IT department. In this position you will work with Software Engineers, DBAs, and QA within IT, as well as with business clients throughout the rest of the company. The person taking this position will be responsible for gathering and documenting business specifications for systems development and enhancements, investigating and resolving issues with our data and systems applications. The person taking this position will work with both software engineers and internal clients to ensure that system solutions meet business needs.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
· Create user documentation for a variety of material, including how-to guides and instruction
· Ensure technical verbiage is easy to understand.
· Gather information on their subjects in available libraries and by interviewing subject matter
· Prepare charts, graphs, or forms to go along with rough drafts.
· Ensure fields flow in the correct sequence.
· Write clear and concise policies and procedures.
· Create table of contents and cite sources.
· Submit copies to managers for feedback.
· Adjust copy as necessary and proofread for grammar and spelling.
· Follow a life cycle called document development life cycle.
· Release the document following final approval.
· Conduct online tutorials.
· Provide updates and different editions as necessary.
· EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience.
· TECHNICAL SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have experience working with queries and reporting on relational databases (MS-SQL; reporting and analysis tools such as MS-ACCESS, Crystal Reports, Business Objects, or SAS); claims business analysts and writing basic instructions to programmers for more complex data queries required for data analysis, testing reports or data feeds, and have knowledge of current technologies in telecommunications (e.g. MS Office tools and Windows).
· COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs. Fluency in Windows environment and MS Office tools
· CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: none required
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.