In training to provide services of both a technical and non-technical nature in the laboratory service areas. Works under the direct supervision of Technicians (I or II) and Technologists. Duties include data handling, specimen processing, performance of select laboratory testing, internal and external communications and documentation, performance and documentation of quality control and equipment maintenance, supply maintenance, and minor problem solving.
This position reports to a Technical Supervisor. This position may also receive direction and work assignments from designated individuals other than the Technical Supervisor.
1. In training to develop an understanding of appropriate specimen collection, handling, and transport.
2. Accurately processes specimens according to established departmental procedures. May include specimen triaging, routing, and storing.
3. Evaluates specimens for acceptability and follows the appropriate procedures for specimens that do not meet acceptance criteria. Initiates problem resolution.
4. Prepares, organizes, and reviews specimens for run set up according to departmental procedures. Ensures accurate sample order and patient identification.
5. Prepares reagents according to laboratory requirements.
6. Under direct supervision, completes training to perform selected waived and/or qualitative, semi-quantitative or quantitative tests. Tests must be performed automatically by an instrument or through the use of previously calibrated and approved automatic syringes or other dispensers and/or procedures.
7. Performs and documents quality control and assists with equipment maintenance within predetermined parameters. Does not calibrate instrumentation.
8. Completes training to transcribe test results previously validated by a Technologist. Transmits results via an interface or automatically by a testing instrument. Result validation cannot be performed by a Technician.
9. Develops proficiency with laboratory information systems including ANSR, ESP, IMS, Millennium, Image Viewer, MASTERControl, LMS.
10. Answers telephone calls in a timely and courteous manner. May provide verified test results available in the LIS, as requested, to authenticated individuals. Refers problems to appropriate technical personnel.
11. Maintains work area. Cleans bench tops and equipment after each spill and daily at the end of the work shift. Documents cleaning and maintenance as required.
12. Stocks and maintains supplies. Notes receipt date on supplies and rotates supplies to ensure that the oldest stock is used first. Discards expired reagents in a manner consistent with applicable safety policies or procedures. Notifies the appropriate supervisor or designated individual, as needed.
13. Meets output measures as defined by individual group procedures. Assists others in areas of defined competency when assigned workload is complete.
1. Complies with safety regulations as defined by ARUP policy.
2. Attends laboratory meetings and in-services as required.
3. Remains informed of all relevant process and procedure changes.
4. Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of job responsibilities and in interactions with patients, co-workers, and other health care professionals.
5. Maintains open and effective communication with co-workers and with members of other teams throughout the organization.
6. Demonstrates adaptability by embracing changes in the laboratory with a positive attitude.
7. Provides suggestions for improvements to laboratory processes, procedures, and test/employee schedules.
8. Demonstrates professional demeanor, in personal appearance and behavior, in all work-related interactions.
9. Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
Physical and other requirements
- Some college level courses in biology or related life sciences
- Previous laboratory experience
College classes in medical terminology or health sciences helpful.
- Regular and reliable attendance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to work all required overtime and take call as needed.
- Must be able to lift 10 pounds
- Must be able to sit and/or stand for extensive periods of time
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
- Fine motor coordination
- Good visual acuity including color perception
- Ability to organize work, to meet deadlines, and to work under stressful conditions
- Absolute integrity in the accurate identification of samples, test performance, and reporting of results
ARUP Laboratories - 16 months ago
West Jordan, UT
- 1 day ago
Salt Lake County
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake County
- 1 hour ago
Mrs. Fields Gifts, Inc
Salt Lake City, UT
- 1 day ago
The good folks at ARUP Laboratories don't grow pale at the sight of blood. The clinical reference lab performs tens of thousands...