The Authority is seeking a highly motivated Technician III, Design Civil Engineering.
Independently designs water and sewer replacement, or rehabilitation projects. Performs advanced design tasks including determination of research and documentation of existing conditions, water and sewer design incorporating and applying DC Water design standards, and preparation of design documents.
• Serves as lead technician in developing water and sewer design projects with an emphasis on design of small diameter water main replacement and sewer rehabilitation projects.
• Orders and reviews utility research data to determine design feasibility in relationship to other underground utilities and
existing physical conditions. Coordinates and obtains existing condition information for various utilities and interprets and processes this information into a design concept.
• Works with Engineers and other Technicians to develop and design alternatives. Works with the design team in selecting a design strategy from alternatives developed. Utilizes AutoCAD or Civil 3D to develop, layouts, stationing, profiles, labeling, dimensioning, sheet layout, design details and other appropriate design considerations.
• Interprets design comments and makes revisions and changes to design documents as needed. Interprets a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or diagrammatic formats.
• Has the ability to understand and use design standards and CAD standards in the development and production of CAD project drawings.
• Provides technical guidance, reviews and assigns work to lower grade technicians and serves as mentor/trainer in providing technical information as needed in office and field related tasks.
•Manages and updates a computerized customer based information retrieval system that will also provide daily research data
for design and as built processing .
• Assists in the development of bid documents, including cost estimates, construction specifications, standard details, and other related documents
• Complies with applicable safety rules and regulations.
• Provides information to the general public relating to engineering data maintained by DC Water.
• Reviews District of Columbia and Federal Highway Administration road improvement plans for possible relocation and adjustment or inclusion of Authority water, sanitary, sewer and storm sewer facilities.
• Performs other related duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the immediate supervisor.
• High School diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate and five (5) years of progressive experience associated with the design of water, sanitary sewer and storm sewer systems. Prefer completion of formalized AutoCAD training courses and or certification from a recognized learning institution.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of water and sewer engineering design. Ability to read and interpret technical standards, specifications, and procedures and apply these concepts to design of water and sewer infrastructure projects.
• Working knowledge of water and sewer design standards as they relate to a CAD based design system. Skill in the use of CAD or Civil 3D software. Skill in the use of engineering instruments and equipment . Skill in the use of a personal computer and related software for report preparation.
• Knowledge of mathematics including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Ability to perform technical computations, analyze complex data, and prepare plans and reports based on findings.
• Ability to make independent investigations and conduct inspections related to engineering problems and to enforce requirements. Ability to prepare complex technical and engineering drawings. .
• Ability to communicate effectively, bother orally and in writing. Ability to write technical correspondence or design issues and effectively present information and respond to questions.
• Primary duties are preformed indoors but, could be required to conduct field visits that could last several consecutive days, locations are throughout the city and neighboring jurisdictions. Conditions could include exposure to extreme cold and/or hot temperatures.
• Subject to noise, and to hazards from a variety of physical conditions.
• Subject to atmospheric conditions that affect the respiratory system or skin such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
DC Water - 10 months ago
DC Water distributes drinking water and collects and treats wastewater for more than 600,000 residential, commercial and governmental...