Under the supervision of an ANM or Staff Nurse, performs advanced technical nursing procedures and services in addition to various personal care activities in the provision of patient care.
PERFORMS NUMEROUS PERSONAL CARE SERVICES TO ENSURE PATIENT'S SAFETY, COMFORT AND CLEANLINESS.
* Ensures patient safety and comfort while providing transfer, or assisting with mobility, from one location to another in accordance with established procedures.
* Assists with the provision of good patient hygiene, including patient eliminations, in accordance with established procedures.
* Assists with the provision of proper nutrition and accurately records meal and nourishment intake, and calorie count.
* Maintains vigilance over patients' safety ensuring all safety precautions are observed (call light within reach, bed alarms used as appropriate, side rails up, bed in lowest position, seat belts in place, etc.)
* Promptly answers all patient call lights.
MONITORS PATIENTS, REPORTS AND RECORDS DATA AND OBSERVATIONS TO FACILITATE QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
* Monitors and records patients' vital signs, intake and output and other measurements in accordance with unit routines and as directed.
* Monitors patients and reports patients' conditions at regular intervals and prior to completion of shift, and promptly reports any signs or symptoms of concern to appropriate party.
* Accurately records interventions according to department and unit routine.
* Reviews hospital records, nursing diagnosis list and Kardex of patients' to familiarize self with patient care needs and provides RN with updates as appropriate.
UNDER SUPERVISION OF AN RN, PERFORMS TECHNICAL NURSING PROCEDURES AS DIRECTED TO FACILITATE QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
* Assists nursing and physician staff in providing treatments in accordance with unit routines and as directed within the parameters of this job description.
* Provides tube feedings in accordance with nursing policy, correctly uses enteral feeding pump and performs tubing changes appropriately.
* Aseptically inserts catheters, including french or straight catheters, Foleys and three-way catheters.
* Performs trach care in accordance with nursing policy and correctly performs oral, trach and endo tracheal suctions.
* Provides Foley irrigation and nasogastric irrigation.
* Opens sterile trays without contamination and aseptically applies dressings/compresses in accordance with physicians' orders.
PARTICIPATES IN PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT ACTIVITIES TO ENHANCE AND MAINTAIN PERSONAL AND DEPARTMENTAL QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE.
* Completes age-specific competencies annually.
PERFORMS OTHER POSITION APPROPRIATE DUTIES AS REQUIRED IN A COMPETENT, PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS MANNER.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* A high school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.), may include specialized or vocational courses. Currently enrolled in an accredited professional nursing program or on a semester break from such a program. Must have completed basic fundamentals course and be classified at least as a junior in a BSN program or a sophomore in an ADN program is required.
* Must hold a current card in healthcare provider basic life support.
* Minimum/no experience is required.
* Completion of Nurse Technician Orientation Skills Checklist is required.
*Non Violent Crisis Intervention Certification required within in 6 months on Psychiatric Unit.
Experience: Minimum/No Experience
Degree: H. S. Graduate/GED Equivalent
License/Certificate: Basic Cardiac Life Support Req Certs get 30d after exp
Department: MemHos 5 STC Unit
Standard Hours Per Week: 1
Scott & White - 14 months ago