The Orthotic Technician supports the Orthotist in providing care to patients with disabling conditions of the limbs and spine by fabricating orthoses and their components. Under the guidance and consultation with the Orthotist and or the Orthotic Assistant, the technician fabricates the orthoses to provide maximum fit, function, cosmetics and workmanship. The technician also repairs and maintains the orthotic devices. The technician is expected to keep abreast of all new fabricating techniques, must be familiar with the properties of pertinent materials and must be skilled in the use of appropriate equipment
The Prosthetic Technician supports the Prosthetist in providing care to patients with partial or total absence of a limb by fabricating prostheses and their components. Under the guidance and with the consultation of the Prosthetist and/or the Prosthetic Assistant, the technician creates positive molds resulting in maximum fit, function, cosmetics and workmanship. The technician also repairs and maintains the prosthetic devices.
Orthotic and Prosthetic Technicians are expected to perform all duties above.
- Perform fabrication and repair of orthotic and/or prosthetic devices, according to Company quality and quantity standards.
- Perform ordering and receiving and other inventory tasks as assigned.
- Maintain a safe, clean and orderly work environment.
- Adhere to all safety regulations; compliance with Medicare and other governmental regulations; compliance with blood borne and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements
- May fit and deliver prefabricated and off-the-shelf orthoses such as cervical orthoses, pressure gradient hose, and trusses.
- Provide education to patients on the application, use, care, and expected outcome for DME products as indicated by the physician instructions and manufacturer recommendations
- Contact vendors to order orthotic fabrication materials and maintain inventory of items used during fabrication process.
- Perform other related duties as required
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and hand skills needed to fabricate and repair prostheses (artificial limbs) and orthoses (orthopedic braces) according to patient measurements, casts and in compliance with a physician's prescription
- Mechanical ability and hand-eye coordination to use laboratory tools safely and effectively.
- Effective organizational, time management and planning skills.
- Good interpersonal and verbal skills for communicating with others.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Technical training school or 2 years experience preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be capable of functioning effectively under moderate or high stress levels due to work subject to time constraints, responsibility to deliver, and the need for rapid adaptation within a dynamic work environment.
Experience and Skill Requirements :
The preceding information is provided as a brief summary and incorporates typical responsibilities and qualifications of the position. Other related duties or specific criteria not expressly mentioned may be required for a particular vacancy and can be explained by the hiring manager.
Work Environment :
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment can be significant while using machinery. Protective equipment is provided. Some travel via automobile, airplane and other public transportation may be required.
N.B. Critical features of this job are described under the headings above. These features may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reason.
Hanger, Inc. - 17 months ago