The New America Foundation's Open Technology Institute seek an enthusiastic, tech savvy individual to join our team in Washington, D.C. Our staff technologists should have a flexible approach to problem solving, broad technical expertise, and the ability to learn and teach new information rapidly and effectively. Our ideal candidate will also need a strong understanding of team dynamics, taking the lead or supporting other technologists as appropriate.
A technologist at OTI is responsible for skill driven contributions to technology projects in traditional, open source software development areas such as design, programming, testing and documentation. A technologist should demonstrate a high degree of familiarity and comfort with all aspects of software development work, including possessing fluency in more than one programming language—complementary languages are preferred such as a low level one suitable for embedded development and a high level scripting language. They should possess some working knowledge of any of the technical areas of interest to OTI's work—wireless networking, security, application development, etc.–and be able to effectively communicate that knowledge to a variety of audiences.
The focus for this Technologist position is the planning, development and execution of QA testing for multiple software development projects. The Technologist in this position will work closely with in-house and vendor developers to perform all aspects of code quality assurance.
- Develop, execute and iterate test plans conforming to project requirements for a variety of software development projects
- Envision problem scenarios around security vulnerabilities, performance, capacity and component integration
- Write test cases to measure inputs and expected outputs for test plans and problem scenarios
- Write scripts for automated testing and integration on multiple platforms (embedded device routers, laptops, mobile devices) using a variety of data sources (big data / local data)
Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who additionally have the following desired qualifications:
- Ideal candidates will have the following required qualifications:
- 3-5 years of strong technical competency and experience with web applications, web services, and unit-testing
- Must have experience with Perl, Shell scripting.
- Experience writing and executing detailed test cases, test plans and test design documents.
- Experience using data driven tests to validate system architectures.
- Must have experience in debugging and troubleshooting problems in Linux/Unix based application servers
- Technical proficiency in quality methodology/process/techniques in order to provide guidance and leadership
Send a cover letter, resume, and work sample (e.g., code samples, wireframes, training curricula, etc.). This position will remain open until filled.
- Experience with Objective-C (for Mac/iOS platform work)
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and/or tools such as xUni (JUnit/CUnit/etc.), Selenium, Mozilla Test Pilot, or others.
We strongly encourage applications from candidates who are people of color, low-income, women, persons with disabilities, over 55 or LGBTQ. Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. The New America Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.