BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
To advance Del Monte Fruit Research and Development projects from concept through commercialization. This position is responsible for taking direction, and then working independently while conducting research projects leading to the development of new food products as assigned by the Projects Manager. The incumbent’s most significant contacts within the Company are daily contacts with other groups within the Laboratory and periodic contact with R&D Leadership, Marketing, Consumer Insights, and Operations. Contacts with outside supplier representatives will also occur.
PRINCIPAL CONTINUING RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Shows technical competence in the planning and completion of assigned projects leading to the development and implementation into production of new or revised products with the supervision of the Projects Manager.
• Provides the basic knowledge and problem solving abilities to adequately troubleshoot product and process audits relating to his/her projects along with the supervision of the Projects Manager.
• Records, collates, evaluates, and interprets experimental data and makes appropriate recommendations to his or her supervisor through written or oral reports. Maintains an accurate laboratory notebook of all intellectual property.
• When appropriate, supervises technicians or plant personnel in the execution of experiments, plant test runs and product commissioning.
• The functions performed by this position are the execution of projects by designing & conducting experiments, recording of experimental data, and communicating of results to the Projects Manager by means of product cuttings, laboratory notebooks/spreadsheets, and laboratory reports. This includes calculating formulas, producing sample batches in the lab/pilot plant, leading cuttings with requisite technical information on hand, and taking appropriate next steps.
• The incumbent is expected with guidance to accurately plan, coordinate, perform, and be accountable for all aspects of his/her project (including but not limited to sourcing raw materials, prototype development/formula calculation, product stability & shelf life testing, & cost analysis).
• The position will also be required to supervise limited new product/production start-ups and operational troubleshooting at manufacturing installations. This includes projects such as formula qualifications, packaging /product interactions, process scale-ups, and cost optimization initiatives. Responsibilities include: writing PRRs, executing test runs, collecting samples and reporting results.
• The problems most often encountered in this position are solving technical problems related to the development, manufacturing, and/or modification of the food products and processes.
• The greatest challenge is to accurately achieve the desired research results within the product image and time guidelines set forth for the projects. The incumbent may at times be required to travel to various Company installations, co-packers, or suppliers.
• The incumbent’s performance for this position is measured on his/her ability to efficiently, accurately and scientifically conduct research projects and his/her ability to work with other technologists within the food group, other laboratory groups and personnel at the other Del Monte Foods facilities. The incumbent is expected to show progression in the development of experimental design & project planning skills prior to promotion.
• The incumbent should have managerial approval prior to issuance of formulas or formula changes or reporting the results of research to Del Monte Foods personnel outside the Department.
• Problems of a technical nature of which the incumbent has no experience or problems related to coordination with other groups in the laboratory must be referred to the Project Manager.
• Keeps abreast of new technology advances in work area.
• The incumbent may be asked to prepare and conduct cuttings of samples of Del Monte Products vs. competitive samples; while gathering and then reporting on product data.
• With guidance, generate and develop innovative product and process ideas.
• Work closely with Procurement to qualify new or alternative (second source) ingredients, write ingredient specifications, and complete requisite documentation to qualify suppliers.
• Provide basic technical input for regulatory & labeling, nutritional, and packaging development.
• As part of a team, commission new products or processes at Del Monte plants.
• BS in Food Science or related degree required; MS degree preferred.
• Up to 2 years’ experience in related field.
• Must be able to travel by plane and capable of travel for extended time periods.
• Must be able to work in a factory environment dealing with equipment and raw ingredients.
• Must be able to conduct plant tests and commissionings.
• Demonstrates professionalism and works well with others.
• Ability to comprehend written instructions.
• Possess mathematical dexterity.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, Genesis; able to learn new programs.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) and Pension Plan
Del Monte Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ALL RESUMES NEED TO BE SUBMITTED THROUGH WWW.DELMONTEFOODS.COM TO BE CONSIDERED. (https://www.delmontefoods.com/careers/)
No sponsorship is available for this position.
No agencies or 3rd party vendors.
Del Monte Foods - 14 months ago