Serving as the voice of care, love and hope to the front door of the organization, the PBX Operator is responsible for providing prompt and friendly service to the organizations patients, families, visitors and staff members. Uses Computer Telephony Integration (CTI software and hardware) to process incoming and outgoing calls. Responsible for initiating all hospital emergency procedures. Monitors all critical hospital gases and reports unfavorable findings to appropriate personnel. Maintains reports relating to all hospital emergency procedures initiated and other special calls. Assists in maintaining staff directory database and Ambulatory Care Services after hour call service data info. Responsible contacting staff members by various communication devices. Performs other clerical duties commensurate with knowledge base. Must be willing to provide uparalleled service and a high level of commitment.
Provides Telecommunications Operator Support
- Answers all incoming calls before the 2nd ring utilizing proper telephone etiquette, identifying department and self with no more than four (4) valid complaints per yea
- Determines the priority or urgency of incoming calls by utilizing listening skills effectively and routes the call to the appropriate person.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills as an operator by willingness to assist and respond to requests or inquiries in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- Forwards ALL calls and communicates telephone messages to the appropriate area or person accurately and promptly with no more than five (5) valid complaints per year.
- Enters data into system regarding physician, patient information, and other hospital related business using CTI (Computer Telephony Intergration) following all guidelines set by the department with no more than five (5) errors per year.
- Maintains a clean work station and reports malfunctioning equipment and phone repairs to appropriate personnel.
Uses Interpersonal Skills To Function With Team Members
- Demonstrates behavior that promotes a positive and professional attitude when communicating with patients, parents, peers and managers with no more than three (3) valid complaints per year.
- Participates in a positive and cooperative manner during staff meetings, attending 90% of all department staff meetings
- Other duties may be assigned that are in the determination of management associated with the position and are commensurate with the incumbent's knowledge and experience.
- Interaction and communication with patients families, and co-workers reflects a basic understanding of age-specific issues.
- Assists in maintaining current physician information (e.g., MD profiles, call schedules, pager numbers, etc) and staff information (e.g., oncall lists, contact #'s, etc.) in computer/ department logs and distributes updated information as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned that are associated with the position and are commensurate with the incumbent's knowledge and experience.
- Follows hospital and department procedures in addressing issues, and submits ideas for improvement
- Demonstrates an understanding of hospital and department policies, procedures, and priorities seeking clarification as needed.
Maintains Office Equipment In Good Working Order
- Demonstrates knowledge of routine office equipment (e.g., telephones, copier, fax machines, computers, printers,
pagers, etc.) and utilizes appropriate procedures for basic operation and trouble-shooting
- Monitors phone and computer equipment problems and problem-solves as necessary with management
- Reports malfunctioning equipment, phone repairs, safety concerns, and supply needs to the shift coordinator or designee.
- Assists in maintaining a clean, safe, and efficient work environment
Provides Emergency Operator Support And Medical Exchange Services
- Announces all emergency codes including but not limited to Dr. Red, Code Blue, Code Green, Code Echo, Code Tango, and Code M.
- Monitors hospital Gas Alarms, Fire Alarms, and the Freezer Alarm for storage of heart valves & contacts appropriate personnel when alarm sounds.
- Monitors and answers ACH Emergency 88 line for all internal emergency calls
- Coordinates internal and external calls for physicians and other staff members on-call with no more than three (3) valid complaints per year.
- Helps maintain profile information in regards to doctors and other staff members who are on-call and all other information pertaining to call schedules.
Demonstrates Professional Performance
- Learns and practices cost effective use of department resources.
- Utilizes available communication tools (OA, staff meetings, and bulletin boards) to remain informed.
- Completes 6 Chex courses per year related to current role responsibilities
- Consistently demonstrates that new knowledge and skills gained from education are incorporated into actual practice
- Shares knowledge and expertise with other members of the staff
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
Certificate from college program or technical school
• Note: College hours and/or degree preferred
1 year total experience required
• which includes 1 year of PBX Operator, data entry, or related experience is required Basic PC skills required experience
• which includes 1 year of successful customer service required experience
1 year computer experience in a Microsoft environment preferred experience
1 year Previous medical experience preferred experience
1 year Previous emergency call processing preferred experience
1 year Previous experince with medical terminology preferred experience
Working knowledge of basic office equipment preferred experience preferred
Experience with CTI software/hardware helpful experience preferred
Experience in a Nortel ACD environment helpuful experience preferred
Familarity with Nortel Symposium helpful experience preferred
Data Entry 5000ksph/10% error rate
Ability to utilize critical thinking skills to problem solve, organize and prioritize multiple tasks
Ability to process a high volume of calls in a professional, efficient manner under strict guidelines
Ability to handle and initiate emergency situations and procedures in a calm and professional manner without error
Ability to assist outside callers, doctors, and other staff members after hours in a medical exchange environment
Ability to assist an infinite number of personalities while maintaining a pleasant attitude and high level of customer service
Strong verbal/written communication and listening skills
Ability to work independently
Flexible hours on evening, night, weekend, and holidays
Physical Activity - Stand
Physical Activity - Sit
Physical Activity - Talk or hear
Physical Environment - Inside Office Environment / conditions
Lifting/Pushing/Pulling Weight - Up to 10 pounds
Noise Level - In general, the noise level for this position is considered to be:
As the only pediatric medical center in the state, Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH) serves the youngest Razorbacks from birth to age...