Temporary Graphic Designer
Pierce County Library System
Pay Grade: $20.57 per hour, FLSA non-exempt, non-Union represented.
Schedule: Forty (40) hours per week on a regular schedule to be determined at time of hire. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, substitute for other staff, and attend meetings. Temporary position from date filled through December 6, 2013.
Application Process: In addition to completing the application, please also include a cover letter and resume. Apply through this site no later than 8 a.m. on Monday, August 12, 2013.
Performs a variety of graphic design functions on behalf of Pierce County Library System; coordinates with customers and vendors regarding production requirements; creates various types of communications materials; maintains departmental clip art and photo databases; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Reports to the Graphics Production Supervisor; no supervisory responsibility is exercised.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services.
- Responds to and processes a variety of graphics requests for in-house projects and Library collateral provided to the public.
- Communicates and coordinates with Library personnel and vendors regarding project requirements and timelines.
- Conceptualizes, designs, and produces various types of communications materials including but not limited to printed materials such as flyers, posters, brochures, forms, banners, and advertisements.
- Creates and designs online communications including static and flash images.
- Design and produce full-color original illustrations and print materials for branded promotional programs.
- Organizes and maintains the Department’s clip art and photo databases.
- Participates in designing, installing, and maintaining signage for Library buildings.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of graphic design for print and online products.
- Graphics design and desktop publishing software applications and equipment, in particular for MACS, such as software for MAC OS and the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Multi-media presentations.
- Print production processes, procedures, and equipment.
- Current trends and developments in the field of online/web communications and graphics.
- Computers and Windows-based software.
- Customer service standards and protocols; establish and maintain relationships with internal staff and vendors.
Required Skill in:
- Performing skilled graphic design work in print and online formats.
- Design and manipulate or modify artwork.
- Create illustrations electronically or by hand.
- Manage several projects at once and adapt to changing needs.
- Using various types of graphics design and desktop publishing software and equipment.
- Coordinating with customers regarding production requirements; listening to, understanding and interpreting the needs of customers.
- Clearly and succinctly communicate ideas and thoughts both verbally and in writing.
- Assisting to ensure the timely production of high-quality communications materials.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or Graphic Arts, and
- Two (2) years commercial graphics design and production experience; OR
- Any combination of education and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
Licenses, Certifications, and Special Requirements:
- A valid Washington State Driver’s License is required.
- Must pass local police and Washington State Adult/Child Abuse records check prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in a print production environment and involves exposure to machinery with moving parts, noise from equipment operation, and hazardous chemicals.
- Subject to sitting and standing for extended periods of time, walking, bending, reaching, climbing ladders, installing signage, and occasional lifting of objects weighing up to 15 pounds.
- Employee Assistance Program
Pierce County Library - 19 months ago
Internet access to services of Pierce County Library System, in Pierce County, WA. Access library services, our library catalog and news...