Upward Bound Program/Talent Search are a great opportunity for college students and recent graduates interested in careers in education, social justice, counseling, and related fields. Gain valuable experience tutoring, teaching, leading activities, mentoring and assisting with trips, events and programming.
The part-time support staff is responsible for providing academic assistance to assigned students in group or individual sessions. These sessions are designed to provide advice on ways students can approach or solve a coursework problem; to demonstrate to students study techniques and test preparation that may improve grades. The support staff serves as a counselor, motivator, and mentor.
- Leads academic tutoring sessions to help students develop skills required to master academic course material.
- Assists students in achieving a better understanding of a specific subject material and in improving academic capabilities. Mathematics: must be able to tutor students in a range of math courses from Algebra to Statistics. Science: must be able to tutor students in a range of laboratory science courses from Physical Science to Physics; English: must be able to tutor students in language arts, literature, composition and reading comprehension.
- Assists/supervises the completion and review of homework/classwork.
- Offers strategies to students on study skills, test taking and note-taking.
- Provides academic coaching to students in tutorial sessions; advises and encourages students to perform their best in their courses.
- Encourages students to read and research in order to develop familiarity with the internet.
- Encourages students’ personal, social and academic development and to continue their education beyond high school.
Performs other duties as assigned.
All CCC employees are required to adhere to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
Must be a rising junior, senior or graduate student currently enrolled in college and in good standing. Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in relevant subject. Experience with tutoring, advising or peer counseling preferred. Training or work experience in academic tutoring, advising and/or peer counseling of high school students.
- Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting project participants.
- Ability to work with low-income, first generation high school students.
- Formal training and/or work experience in programming that improves secondary school retention/graduation rates.
City Colleges of Chicago - 8 months ago