Oversee, organize and plan all security, terminal, stevedoring and ancillary services. Schedule all ship calls, show pier events and ancillary services. Approve all operational plans for ships, security, maintenance, parking and show pier activity. Oversee all superintendent assignments and hiring of union labor workforce. Obtain vessel schedule information, coordinate facility usage and approve vessel berth applications. Primary liaison with Government Agencies. Monitor and ensure show event compliance with all permit requirements. Ensure compliance with OSHA facility and stevedoring standards. Ensure compliance with OHS & E policies and procedures. Approve all operational reports for OHS &E procedures. Ensure payroll procedures are followed to report accurate data. Provide accurate billing support data for contract services. Provide customer support and coordination for all ship and show events. Maintain and implement security and emergency response plans. Adjudicate labor grievances at the pier level. Ensure that staff is adequately educated and trained in OSHA, OHS&E policies and collective bargaining agreements. Report to General Manager on conditions of facility and operational readiness. Other duties as assigned.
- 4 year college degree in Business Management.
- 5 years experience managing in a marine terminal and stevedoring transportation environment.
- Level 4 (Supervisory Staff, Frontline Managers) / See Leadership Competency Standards.
- Superior management and leadership skills necessary to organize and direct management staff.
- Requires a high tolerance for stress in dealing with tight deadlines, sensitive service issues and emergency situations on a day-today-basis.
- Requires the ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret the critical elements of terminal operating costs, hands-on experience with short/long term budget planning, creation and business plan implementation.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills; ability to effectively communicate with internal/external points-of-contact regardless of their status or position; ability to express ideas clearly in writing for memos, letters, reports and incidental presentations.
- Demonstrated interpersonal/management skills in a fast-paced environment dealing with diverse work groups, vendors and customers; supervisory experience with a union workforce preferred.
- The ability to select, train and develop employee talent, and provide performance feedback in a non-threatening and timely manner.
- Requires the ability to use PC/mainframe operating systems for data retrieval and report generation.