We are currently seeking a Laboratory Technician for our Test Laboratory at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA's) Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF) in New Orleans. MAF is a world-class manufacturing facility providing vital support to NASA's space flight missions. MAF is also a multi-tenant facility. This position will work in a collaborative team environment.
Typical duties include sample preparation, fixturing, instrumentation installation, testing, and evaluation/analysis of test results. Must have in-depth knowledge and experience in operation of instrumentation and equipment. Candidate will be required to follow detailed laboratory instructions and procedures (including providing accurate data inputs in reporting test data, test parameters, etc. for test reporting purposes), adhere to safety policies and practices, and follow management direction and schedules. Required skills should also include general mechanical test laboratory equipment use, use of precision measurement devices such as calipers, micrometers, and extensometers. Should be proficient in the use of PC-based computer applications, Windows operating system, and MS Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and Laboratory Management Systems.
- Associate degree and 2 years of experience in a laboratory environment.
- Candidate should possess experience and skills in materials testing, physical testing apparatus, and mechanical testing.
- Should be proficient in performing mechanical testing of metallic and non-metallic materials utilizing MTS, Tinius Olsen, and Instron test frames and fixtures, both hydraulic and electro-mechanical.
- Testing experience should include methods such as tensile, compression, lapshear, short-beam shear, flatwise tension, 3-point bending, 4-point bending, EDM, cyclic fatiguing, Charpy V-Notch, etc.
- Experience in testing a variety of materials, including metals, composite laminates, composite sandwich, foam insulation materials, elastomers, etc. in temperature ranges from -420 degree F, through room temperature, to +500 degrees F (experience with cryogenics required).
- Experience with Vishay Data Acquisition Systems (or equivalent), strain gauge installation, and data acquisition is required.
- Experience with digital photography a plus.
- Experience with operating machine shop equipment such as band saws, drill presses, and milling machines, etc. to fabricate test specimens also a plus.
- Position requires excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Use your detailed knowledge of particular events, day-to-day problems and opportunities, and how things are actually done to implement ideas that advance safety, make the job easier, improve performance and/or enhance the customer’s experience.
MTS - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard
MTS is a veteran-owned, small business headquartered in Huntsville, AL. The MTS staff consists of individuals who have provided valuable...