Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation (SASF) is New York’s leading provider of after-school and summer camp programs. Our mission is to help bridge the academic performance gap among under-achieving students and in low income neighborhoods through wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve children’s academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
Performing Arts and Music Assistant Directors facilitate service learning, organize trips, conduct outreach and partner with the community on service based projects. They provide supervision to tutors/counselors and are responsible for creating lessons, projects and objectives that meet the individual students’ needs. He/she fosters an atmosphere of fun and learning and serves as a role model to youth, always conducting him/herself in the utmost professional manner and maintaining appropriate boundaries. They are also responsible for maintaining target number of participants.
They organize, lead, and promote interest in activities such as theater, chorus, dance, and music. Instructors utilize and adapt the New York State Arts Learning Standards in order to create an engaging and awarding activity that encourages participation in SASF programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible.
- Organize, lead, and promote interest in Performance Art and Music activities such as theater, chorus, dance, and percussion.
- Organize performance groups and direct their rehearsals.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Ascertain and interpret group interests, evaluate equipment and facilities, and adapt activities to meet the student’s needs.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Explain principles, techniques, and safety procedures to participants in the activities, and demonstrate use of materials and equipment.
- Greet new arrivals to activities, introducing them to other students, explaining rules, and encouraging participation.
- Evaluate activity to determine if they are producing desired results.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Coordinate competitions between other Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation programs.
- Progressive development of student skills leading to a final project
- Provide support during academic/homework hour
- Promotes positive character development in all youth
- Most SASF Assistant Directors are expected to provide homework support during Academic hour.
Sports & Arts in Schools Foundation (SASF) is New York’s leading provider of after-school programs. Our mission is to...