Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. provides the business advantage to some of the world’s largest retailers, auto manufactures, consumer electronics companies and more. Our services ensure that our customer goods move from production through the supply chain to the end user. Offering air and ocean freight forwarding, global warehousing, transportation, reverse logistics, surface transportation and supply chain solutions, we perform a key role in keeping world trade moving. Globally Yusen Logistics employs over 17,000 staff across 412 offices.
As part of the NYK Group established in 1885, one of the world’s most recognized and trusted names in shipping and logistics, Yusen Logistics is consistently recognized as one of the most ethical and sustainable companies.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Total Quality Officer provides leadership in implementing, communicating and managing all aspects of Yusen Logistics Americas (Inc (YLA) Total Quality Management and Safety programs. Engaging with senior leadership teams, this position plays a key role in developing a continuous improvement (“Kaizen”) and safety culture throughout the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Quality / Kaizen
· Formulates and maintains Quality/ Kaizen objectives complementary to corporate vision and strategic goals for Quality/Kaizen.
· Interprets total quality/Kaizen philosophy for the organization and provides expert guidance in developing quality / Kaizen processes across all business units.
· Designs and implements Quality and Kaizen training. Pilots training in lean enterprise and “Kaizen” practices.
· Leads the Safety program; initiate and influences integration of safety policies and practices into the business.
· Leads the organization in complying with all applicable safety rules, regulations and global safety policies.
· Develops resources at the business unit , provides technical guidance and training to identify and evaluate hazards, and implement effective controls
· Marginal Functions:
· Attends conferences, meeting, and workshops to maintain current knowledge of quality methods and procedures or to maintain required level of certification.
Establishes and maintains relationships with Division management (Corporate, Warehouse, Transportation, Ocean Freight Forwarding, and Air Freight) and Kaizen and Quality facilitators and participants.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS, WORKING SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES, COMPETENCIES:
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A minimum of 5-7 years of hands on experience in developing and implementing quality culture programs including “Kaizen” projects, injury prevention activities is required. Prior experience in the logistics supply chain, trans-loading, warehousing, freight forwarding business is preferred.
May require working after normal business hours and weekends.
Position requires extensive travel, up to 50-75% of time within the United States. Some international travel in the “Americas” may be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to design, develop, and implement a continuous safety/quality/efficiency improvement roadmap for the organization.
· Professional knowledge and experience of Skill matrixes, visualization control (“Mieruka”), Value Stream Map, etc.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft office required.
· Extensive experience with excel and other data access/analysis systems preferred. Experience with Vizio a plus.
Employment with Yusen Logistics (Americas) Inc. comes with competitive pay and an excellent benefits package including paid vacations, holidays and sick time. Insurance benefits include medical, prescription, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents. The company also provides short term and long term disability, group life insurance, and AD&D. Additionally there is a generous 401K savings plan and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) benefit. We offer company-paid skills training, as well as a Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance program and career and advancement opportunities.