Magna Seating is an innovative leader in the development and manufacture of high quality complete seating systems, seat structure and mechanism solutions as well as foam & trim products for the global automotive industry. Our capabilities range from market and consumer research, full concept development, design and engineering, testing and validation to world-class manufacturing.
The Trade Compliance Manager ensures that the company maintains the highest level of regulatory compliance in all Canadian, Mexican, US and international customs transactions.
• Involved in all aspects of Canadian, Mexican, and US customs (including NAFTA) and international customs and ensuring compliance development and support, for both internal clients and external service providers. This includes (but is not limited to) web-based tracking, tracing and reporting solutions as well as both standard and customized EDI tools for all appropriate government bodies and customs brokers;
• Monitoring duty and tax outlays, customs drawbacks, tariff classifications, refunds and all related rules and regulations;
• Maintaining the integrity of customs databases and updates of relevant D-memos;
• Developing, implementing and maintaining the methods and tools for managing all ATA carnets and TIBs issued to the company, and ensuring follow-up of these until they are closed, without penalties, by the relevant authorities, and without any negative impact on company operations;
• Establishing an effective process to control any customs compliance development requests including timely, accurate and detailed work plans, resource schedules, project estimates and status reports.
• Maintain strong working relationships with Canadian, Mexican, US and international customs as well as with all other regulatory authorities to carry out company business;
• Ensure that the company is in compliance with Canadian, Mexican and US customs regulations and that all company locations exercise reasonable care and responsible supervision as relates to transactions involving Canadian, Mexican, US and international customs;
• Ensure, as required periodically by the company's offshore operations, appropriate planning and implementation of entry and exit strategies with relation to customs operations in foreign countries;
• Develop, implement, maintain and periodically monitor basic standard operating procedures (SOPs) and work practices so as to optimize the performance of Customs Compliance at the company and minimize risks related to non-compliance;
• Provide clients with advice and support regarding special customs programs that may reduce duty obligations (e.g. drawback, NAFTA) and regarding record keeping and similar compliance matters;
• Prepare periodic newsletters, alerts and other information for the benefit of clients;
• Develop SOPs specific to individual clients (SOPs intended to complement, not replace, the main SOPs and work practices);
• Arrange periodic training seminars conducted by both internal and external resources;
• Keep the company abreast of trends and developments related to customs compliance issues;
• Inform management of any industry changes, developments and trends or incidents that may impact the organizations’ ability to conform or comply with rules and regulations and/or that may result in financial penalties or losses;
• Secure and maintain all the necessary Canadian customs bonds, guarantees and licenses (including renewals), as well as all other licenses and permits from Canadian, Mexican, US and international regulatory authorities;
• Perform all other related tasks.
• Authorities as detailed in Standard Operating Procedure 8000.
Knowledge and Education
Bachelor’s degree (or Bachelor’s equivalency) in Business Administration or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years diversified purchasing, materials, or related experience.
- Exposure to global supply base management principles.
- Working knowledge of inventory control practices.
- Ability to apply quantitative analysis skills with a fundamental understanding of material, labor, burden structures, and cost drivers.
- Product knowledge in automotive parts or material commodities.
- Strong communication skills: verbal and written.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully complete multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines.
- Demonstrated successful performance with independent problem solving.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
Normal amount of sitting, standing, and walking. Average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer, may require travel.
Through its various subsidiaries and divisions, Magna International makes just about everything needed to put together a motor vehicle....